1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to reply to an important post.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JoeHealingTms, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

Is weird, but I can not reply to an important post that I had replied before. Somehow now it is locked so I will reply here for the benefit of others. The post was related to seeing a doctor and getting properly checked before going into TMS self diagnosis.

In one of the replies, FredAmir posted:

Great advice and great post.

Couple of comments:

1. This may come as a shock but the same way back surgeries have been found ineffective so are bypass surgeries and angioplasties. With one big difference: unlike back surgeries, heart bypass and angioplasty come with death as a possible side effect.

My dad went to the ER with chest pain, ended up dying during angioplasty. To learn what happened and why we should avoid angiogram, angioplasty, and bypass surgery see my blogpost on the topic.

http://www.fredamir.com/single-post/2016/07/11/Heart-Attack-Avoid-Angiogram-Angioplasty-and-Bypass-Surgery (Back Pain)

2. When I finally decided the pain on the right side of my abdomen, which sometimes radiated into my groin, might not be TMS and went to see a doctor to check for a possible hernia or appendicitis, I was told nothing was wrong. Even the CT scan was normal.

So assuming it was TMS, I continued to carry heavy stuff until the hernia bulged out of my groin. By then, of course, it was too late to avoid surgery, even though I tried alternative treatments for six months to avoid it.

Trying to find a surgeon that would repair my hernia without a mesh turn into quite an adventure!

http://www.fredamir.com/hernia (Back Pain)

So not always going to the doctor can help, but it can become necessary. In most cases, I first go to alternative health practitioners before going to my primary care physician.
    _--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to have to agree to disagree. And I think that this type of comment might even be dangerous for someone that could get easily swayed into a wrong diagnosis. The main post was after all, about a person who died of a heart attack while thinking it was TMS.
    I work on a profession where mostly we are men. In the last 5 years, around 6 of my coworkers in the ages from 40 to 50 had heart attacks. 2 of them did not survive them. The other 4 had 3bypass and 4th bypass surgeries. They had a high percentage of their heart veins blocked and they would have otherwise died. The 4 of them that had the surgery are alive to this day.
    I think is very dangerous to say that we should avoid bypass surgeries. Specially when a person that have TMS is already an anxious person and sometimes bordering in the hypochondriac, and which could die by not having the proper procedure done. Without this surgery, 4 of my coworkers, that are relatively young and have families to attend to, would be dead.
    The case you point out in which you got checked and did not find anything have happened to a lot of people, specially with hernia. By their nature, some hernias expose themselves under strain and then look normal when the muscles are relaxed, so most of the times, when you are having an MRI on a table and relaxed, the hernia might not show. If you were still in pain, a better doctor would have done an arthroscopic diagnosis surgery, and could have found your problem and fix it at the moment before it went worse. We can not dismiss medicine because it did not work for someone or because anyone had a bad experience. In the cases I am talking about, not having this surgery would have been certain death, as in some cases their arteries were blocked 70%. Before by pass surgeries, a heart attack was most of the time certain death. I would not want to go to an alternative health doctor if I were having a heart attack.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Joe, thanks for sharing your opinion. I will be unlocking that thread in a bit, and I encourage you to make your post there when it is unlocked.

Every six months or so, I see a flame war brewing and I often temporarily lock all of the threads involved to give people a chance to cool off and to prevent them from doing anything rash. Sometimes I also move posts to another thread. In this case, I did both, moving some posts out of that thread and into another thread:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/can-you-say-that-something-wasnt-tms-while-at-the-same-time-having-medicine-find-nothing.17122/ (Can you say that something wasn't TMS while at the same time having medicine find nothing?)

I'm very sympathetic to what you are saying. I'd also take it a step farther in that this is a site to discuss mind-body medicine and related symptoms, but perhaps this isn't a place to discuss various surgical procedures or other medical issues not related to mind-body conditions. As I said, I don't blame you at all for responding, but going forward, I don't see this as a topic that should have been brought up in the first place.

Like I said, I encourage you to make your post in that thread when it is unlocked. For now, to prevent the discussion from splitting and to follow my general policy whenever I lock threads, I'm locking this thread as well. (Locking threads also gives me time to think things over - I do my best to act fairly deliberately in situations like this.)

Thank you for your understanding.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.