1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Trying This

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Sonic, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

I am very sceptical about TMS although I do find the theory behind it very plausible. After being chronically ill with Dizziness and vertigo for 14 months and suffering from chronic back pain for 8-9 months, I am willing to try and embrace this condition.

I have been suffering emotionally throughout the years prior to my ailments and still very much am. This is why I find the concept of TMS plausible. The fact that my pain can spread to arms, neck , shoulders, legs and hands at times also makes me think that this is TMS.

What is preventing me from fully accepting the diagnoses is that I injured my back during a lifting/carrying exercise at work. This is when the pain started although I have had scans which has revealed nothing abnormal. But my back was in agony after this incident.

I have read "Healing Back Pain" and also The Divided Mind before undertaking this programme. I was taking all sorts of painkillers everyday from April to October. I stopped taking these after I finished "healing back pain". Not because the pain vanished, but it certainly made me less anxious about it which in turn maybe eased my pain a bit?

I have done the tasks for today and have found that recommended success story very inspiring.

I'm looking forward to learning more about this condition and hopefully more about myself.

Let's do this.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    RozieHolland and AC45 like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sonic. I'm so glad you discovered Dr. Sarno and his books and this web site. We are all here to help. You have been under a lot of emotional stress for years, and they are most likely the cause of your symptoms.

Dr. Sarno says it's okay to take a pain killer when the pain is severe, but to keep believing it is caused by your emotions and as you have learned from medics, there is nothing structurally wrong with you.

Dizziness and vertigo are two common symptoms of TMS. At those time, try to sit down and relax and breathe deeply. Think pleasant thoughts like being on a sunny warm beach with no cares or worries or pain.

I had a bout of dizziness about a year ago and my doctor prescribed some Meclizine. I bought some under the generic name Travel Sickness from Rugby. One tiny pill and the dizziness went away. You might try some, but keep in mind that it is only a pain killer and the cause of it is something(s) emotional. The SEProgram will help you to discover what those are.

I found journaling to be the most helpful. It led me to discover I was repressing anger and other emotions since my parents divorced when I was seven. You may be repressing something(s) from your childhood, or you are a perfectionist or "goodist" kind of person. Those personality traits can be very hard on a person and those they love.

Good luck as you begin this incredible journey of self-discovery.

Sonic likes this.
  3. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

Thanks for the reply and encouragement Walt.

Although I am undertaking this SEP to try and cure/heal my pain and do not expect it to have any effect on my vertigo. If it does then it will be a miracle.

Journaling is what I'm looking forward to getting into. I have always been one to bottle emotions, only for them to come an bite me further down the line. So I am sure that there are some things that I am repressing that I will hopefully reveal to myself.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sonic. I think you need to be positive about TMS healing your vertigo as well as your pain. And I am confident that you will discover your repressed emotions in journaling. Have a great day and week ahead.