1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Troubles ignoring pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by WillGray, Oct 26, 2016.

1. WillGray

WillGray Newcomer

It has been 7 days since reading healing back pain. Im now reading The MindBody Prescription. I am on day 3 of SEP. I believe 100% that I have TMS. My past "illnesses and injuries" are what made me realize that its TMS. Just as I had a solution to fix a problem along came another.

My issue now is dealing with the pain. I say, 80-90% of my day is lying down. I left my job in May, had a microdiscectomy surgery (pointless) in June. I am at the point I cant even sleep at night. I cant walk for more than 10 steps or sit for more than 1 minute. I can barely even lie down without pain. Im sure this is all conditioning but I cant seem to break them. I try to think emotionally when in pain instead of thinking about the pain, but its hard. No matter how hard I try to fight through the pain, I get to the point where Im bent over and cant even stand up hobbeling around the house in 15 out of 10 pain. Its bad. I have a psychotherapist appointment coming up to try and dig deep into my uncinscious mind. How the heck do I overcome this pain? I try so hard to not fear it and not to succumb to it but I end up just getting so angry. I try everyday to do a little more and more movement but it just destroys me. I feel stuck.

Add on: The first thing that comes to mind when I stand up or sit down is, I wonder how long it will be before the pain comes? or if its not a question, pain just pops into my head. I cant get it out of my mind. Its been 3 years with it, it wont happen overnight I realize.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  2. CarboNeVo

CarboNeVo Well known member

Read @ezer 's story and study it well. His approach is very similar to what has been desribed here but also addresses the emotional work in more of a direct way. Learning connecting with those emotions may take a while to master. So keep at what you are doing + approach emotions or the "think psychological" the way Ezer did. It might change everything for you

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Changing your inner dialogue is going to be a crucial part of your recovery, Will. I know from personal experience just how easy it is to accept and give in to the negative messages that our fearful primitive brains bombard us with!

Learning to recognize the negative messages is the first step.

Being willing to change the negative messages is the next, harder step.

The most useful counter-dialogue that I used in my own recovery goes like this:

I've been checked out and I know there is nothing wrong with my body.
    My body is stronger that I think it is, and I know that I can't injure myself by doing (whatever action) even if there is pain.
    I also know that the pain is actually coming from my brain, not from my (neck, shoulder, foot...).
    I am perfectly safe, I am not in any danger, therefore, THIS PAIN IS NOT NECESSARY!!!"

Repeat frequently!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Will. Jan and Carbo have given you some real good replies. I'm sorry you're in such pain and having trouble sleeping.

I hope the psychotherapist can help you, and maybe you can discover the emotional causes of your pain, and journal about them.

Try not to fear that pain will come when you stand, sit, or walk. Tell yourself you are not afraid you will hurt yourself more.