1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble ignoring Tinnitus ...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by E. Lynn, Aug 5, 2016.

1. E. Lynn

E. Lynn Peer Supporter

Can anyone share some tips or tricks on how to ignore tinnitus? I've been on to my tms for about 2 1/2 years now, and have gotten better, but my tinnitus isn't responding well. Sometime I can ignore it when I'm busy, but when I'm not busy, it's really HARD to try to concentrate on anything else! It's more in my right ear than left, and sometimes my right ear feels tight on the inside. I also have problems with fear regarding the tinnitus because I dislike it so much.

I've read Dr. Sarno and Steve's book. Steve's book mentioned using observational breathing to help with tinnitus, but I'm not completely sure what that is.

On a positive note that I hope might encourage someone, I've gotten much much better from SI joint pain, general back pain, forearm pain, and even the plantar fasciitis type pain I've had since I was about 10.

Thanks!

2. Brant

Brant Peer Supporter

thanks Lynn...im similar! back pain way better but good old tinnitus has never improved or lessened. I do enjoy relaxation response and mindful meditation as a coping method, brings overall calmness anyways. I tried reading all success stories about tinnitus I can find and overall internet searches but other than some scams claiming to eliminate it I haven't seen any real "omg its gone" type successes. So I'm just acknowledging it as TMS and stay distracted, definitely try not to give it fear power. good luck and will keep looking also.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm 86 and began having tinnius when I was about 30. I only notice it when I think about it. My ear doctor said back then that it came with aging. I think it is more like a symptom of TMS. The more I relax and accept things like anxiety and worries, the less I hear the sounds in my ears. And there could be things a lot worse!

I agree with Brant. Stay distracted. Do things, think things that are positive and pleasant. I'm glad he says he finds the Relaxation Response helpful. It and deep breathing are a big help.

Brant likes this.
  4. E. Lynn

E. Lynn Peer Supporter

Thank you Brant and Walt. I've noticed when I get anxious or hear something I don't like, quite often it gets louder right away. There's definitely a TMS factor in there. It's almost like a muscle tensing up and cracking up the volume.

I listened to a meditation video on you tube last night and I think the observational breathing may be just paying attention to your body--the rise and fall of your chest as you breathe, ect.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm glad the Youtube video helps. I've found some great videos there, on lots of TMS subjects.