1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Triggers, pain, what to do?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jackson1956, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Jackson1956

Jackson1956 Newcomer

Hello- I’m about 3 weeks in & doing good in the sense I’m being very active with little to know symptoms when hiking, road biking, Mnts biking & fly fishing. I’ve been diagnosed with deg. disc & Spinal Stenosis and that’s the cause of nerve pain in lower legs. Heavy fear, anxiety and been on edge for 18 months. I believe it’s TMS, as I’ve had many other issues while essentially doing nothing (shoulder, neck, heart burn, glute and carpal tunnel). It seems that my nerve pain comes up when I sit down, always goes away or lessens when I move. I have sways been very active and had this fear I won’t be able to do the things I love. I think It’s possible I have conditioned the brain for pain when I sit. That’s my main trigger. And when it goes from just a “sensation” to pain, I focus on it. Does anyone have a suggestion how to deal with that trigger?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jackson, and welcome.

The key is to change the message. "Hear" the negative message that anticipates pain, and change that to a new message which is constructive and positive. Not fake "happy face" positive, but something that is true. Such as: "Hey brain, you're anticipating pain before there is pain, and that's not necessary! Let's visualize having no pain upon sitting - or having the pain go away quickly, because there's no reason for it!"