1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Trigeminal Neuropathic Pain and TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Sterling, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Sterling

Sterling Peer Supporter

After reading probably all of the posts related to Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia before creating my own account, I certainly feel more hopeful.
    Yes, I could be a poster-child for TMS. All the childhood and recent high-stress events check off all the boxes. Unsurprisingly I’ve been labeled with fibromyalgia, sleep disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder over the years. SI Joint, plantar fasciitis blah blah blah.
    Add to that, post-traumatic trigeminal neuropathic pain (or Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia) that definitely resulted from a physical dental procedure (excruciating pain during botched root canal followed by extraction a few months later- and a photo of my bruised, swollen face after the first part of the root canal).
    It’s been nearly 3 years since that procedure. I’ve had a few good months recently but a terrible flare up post kidney stone surgery that has not gone into remission since last month. Struggling.
    Over the years, I’ve journaled ad nauseum (and I still do), done group therapy and CBT for the traumatic events, attachment issues, etc. Recently bought into the Curable program. I’ve researched neuroplasticity and chronic pain (Doidge, Moskowitz, Moseley etc.). I’ve read and listened to Sarno, Mate, SteveO.
    At the moment, I’m somewhere between “it’s all TMS” and “rewire the brain to stop interpreting misfiring damaged nerves as pain”.
    I’m fairly confident that I have the knowledge part down pat but I admit that I am mired in the over-thinking territory (as I also check off most of the TMS personality traits). I’m trying to gather a toolbox that works for me and start using those tools and put into practice rather than intellectualize.
    I look forward to learning more from all of you.

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Sterling,

You certainly have the knowledge part down! Now it's just a matter of living your life and putting it into practice. Always think psychological. Become aware of your chronic negative thought patterns and work on finding feeling better thoughts. Allow yourself to feel emotions and most of all live your life. Assess if changes need to be made so that you are living your life in a way that makes you happy and you can be your true self. There's not a whole lot to "do"...it's just practicing indifference to the symptoms . Accepting Vs. Resisting.

Sterling and Boston Redsox like this.
  3. Sterling

Sterling Peer Supporter

Thank you for taking the time to reply and providing words of wisdom. I’m staying mindful of my catastrophizing “what if” thinking and shifting it to a “so what” perspective as a start

4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Sterling likes this.