1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Tribute to Dr. Sarno

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by andy64tms, Oct 9, 2017.

1. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

I can’t believe it’s nearly 18 years since my introduction to TMS. I Pay tribute to Dr. Sarno who sadly passed this year. It was one of his books “Healing Back Pain” that I was introduced to in 2000. I remember when I first read it throwing it across the room in sheer disbelief. Looking back I also remember another emotion.

Coming from Great Britain, where it’s not so great to show your emotions or anxiety I had never been exposed to such openness about feelings, in the UK back then it was not acceptable at family, peer or society level. Some of you may have heard the expression: “stiff upper lip” that is applied to the way you should behave. Emotions were considered best suppressed.

I did not understand suppressed unpleasant emotions straight away. In his book and VHS tapes he stated with many examples that most people with unexplained pains have something psychologically going on inside. I followed his lead and in 2000 had a miraculous recovery from years of debilitating back pain. I recovered and then asked the question: “why”?

This basic question for me was at the core of my issues and took me years to answer. From 2000 to 2012 I did little journaling and paid no attention to TMS theory. I had a recovered; I took up windsurfing and got on with life. I reread “Healing Back pain” a few times, and ordered two VHS tapes. The image in his white coat and cane, and factual manner gave me assurance. I felt this was the right direction to take.

Dr Sarno’s writings allowed me to start thinking “psychologically”. A word up to then I had learnt to fear and revoke, for it meant I had to look inwards with honesty. I now know “psychology” is a word for “life” for we are all fortunate to be physiological creatures. Everything we do, everything we say is linked to psychological reasoning, and our happiness and existence depend upon it.

When I joined the TMS Help forum in 2012 a year after retirement I had ample time to investigate TMS further. My views changed gradually as I realized TMS was not a quick fix. Some of the concepts were hard to understand, and there was deep controversy and reams of advice and rules of what approach to follow. Dr Sarno has inspired us to think inwardly about ourselves and share our experiences. His inspiration goes much further to the professionals who took up his cause. If it was not for him I would not have the experience of reading “Unlearn your Pain”, “The Great Pain Deception”, or being able to follow threads by Alan and Fred. Thank you to all the TMS pioneers out there.

In the expanse of the world he has brought together a very small group of people who have the chance of being pain free without surgery and medication.

Thank you good doctor.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Click#7 and MindBodyPT like this.
  2. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

He also helped folks who where on medication and had surgery.

3. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member