1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Transverse Myelitis

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jschatt24, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Jschatt24

Jschatt24 Newcomer

I'm familiar with Dr. Sarno's work and came upon this forum in search of help for my condition. I have been diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis which is a condition of the spinal cord. I had inflammation in my thoracic area that caused damage to the myelin sheath. It causes pain a weakness in my abdomen and legs. I'm still mobile and get around pretty good. Over time I have healed and seen improvement but not completely. It can take several years to make a significant recovery. Has anyone on this site had any experience with it? I'm starting the Mind Body approach to help minimize the pain.

Thanks

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there!

I actually do have some experience treating clients with transverse myelitis. It's really thought of as more of an infection that causes spinal cord damage and I don't think could be classified as TMS (though most all disease processes have mind-body components). Sounds like you're doing well, and yes, it can take years for recovery due to the slow process of nerve healing. I think that TMS can help if you're having a lot of pain from it, certainly! I work with people who have spinal cord injury who definitely have a mindbody component to their pain...though the injury is not pure TMS. It might help to think of the chronic pain you're having as a result of the myelitis as being TMS, but not the original disease process. Hope that makes sense!