1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Transitional vertebrae and low back pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by KseniyaM, Jan 21, 2023.

1. KseniyaM

KseniyaM Newcomer

Hey guys!
    I’ve posted before and I’m doing TMS work for over a month now and I have some doubts if my pain is really TMS.
    Im 24 and my pain started when I was 21 out of nowhere. In few words, it’s been right hip pain ands sometimes low back, mostly when I stand for a while or bend. I got new pains since then like right part of my back, under right knee and my right foot( I also have right wrist, shoulder and neck pain sometimes). The pain is inconsistent during day, some days I even don’t feel pain at all but it’s rare. The only thing doctors think can be the cause of my pain is transitional L5 S1 vertebrae. My primary care says my spine looks good, transitional vertebrae is not that rare and can’t cause the problem, while chiropractor says it’s definitely because of this and that there is nothing I can do except for living with pain.
    I’m struggling to find a success stories with problem like this, but I did research, and it said that prevalence of transitional vertebrae in people with and without pain is very similar and it made me think it’s probably TMS.
    But I saw this one thread where the person said the Bertolotti(transitional vertebrae) is a real thing and not TMS and now I’m so frustrated. Basically doctors can’t help me with my pain and I’m so depressed to think that I will have to suffer like this for the rest of my life.
    I would really appreciate if someone know anybody who had some success with similar problem because it would give me some hope that I’m not doing this for nothing and that I can get better.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, you’ve asked about tooth pain, and back pain.
    Two unrelated pains in a young person. Your chiro, who you pay each visit has suggested your pain will be life long. Your medical doctor suggests you should be fine. You have discovered tms which suggests that stress, anger, fear, personality … are the cause of most physical expressions of pain and can be resolved by doing inner work, yourself.
    what do you choose to believe?
    Would you choose suffering because someone said you should (and then get your money for treatment that will be lifelong and doesn’t seem to be working) or would you choose freedom: emotional and chronic pain freedom? You will still have physical and emotional pain at times -that’s part of being alive. But you will learn how to deal with life’s hiccups and if you choose to -enjoy life!
    I wavered, had some doubts but finally my tms coach said to pick a method (I chose the SEP) and do it, to the end. Add anything else you choose: meditation, breathing to music, adult coloring (with no other activity other than maybe quiet music), walk daily and look up -take in your surroundings; life and/or nature. Call a friend and do not discuss tms or your pains at all - think of baby steps towards doing things you must do (chores etc) and things you love… basically teach yourself to slow down. Get out of your own story, de-stress. Be curious about this whole process and discover what works for you. Recognize that this is about discovering your internal life, habits, patterns, cycles, triggers and not as much about the pain. Pain is the messenger that you need to attend to yourself and stop looking for fixes from other people and things.

KseniyaM and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@KseniyaM, I agree with @Cactusflower 100%.

I will add this for your consideration, because once you are aware of it, and understand that we are also seeing it, maybe that will give you the incentive to focus your energy where it will achieve results:

You are spending a lot of time and energy searching for someone with your same symptoms, but what you need to understand is that this is a distraction, created by your TMS brain. The goal of reading Success stories is to see the long list of different symptoms that can be created by our TMS brains, and to read all of the different ways in which different people recovered. It is NOT to find your exact symptom, because there is no such thing! I can guarantee that if you actually found someone with EXACTLY your symptoms and diagnosis, then your TMS brain would quickly find a reason to convince you that the person's symptoms and/or experience are not relevant. The other thing your brain will do is stop a symptom if you're not paying it enough "attention" and create a brand-new symptom so that you rush off to another doctor in fear.

You've said that you are doing the SEP, but you can't expect results if you are letting your TMS brain distract you with this negativity. Your TMS brain is actually trying to fool you into thinking you're accomplishing something so that you don't properly do the scary emotional work that is actually your path to recovery. Don't be fooled!

KseniyaM likes this.
  4. KseniyaM

KseniyaM Newcomer

Thank you for your reply!
    I would definitely choose freedom and not being obsessed over these pains.
    It’s hard and especially because I have a twin sister and she is completely fine and here I am dealing with all these things
    And this is the thing, it’s not pain that bothers me(I was having Covid three times during last 6 months and even though it felt terrible I was not obsessing over it because I knew I will be fine after a week) but the feeling that it will affect me for the rest of my life, this is the worst.
    But, anyway. If I see these pains as TMS and at least do my best to treat it this way, I guess I’m not going to loose anything. Absolutely worth trying especially since doctors can’t help it as a physical issue.

5. KseniyaM

KseniyaM Newcomer

Hi! Thanks for your reply!
    Now when you say it, I think it makes more sense than when I was having this idea myself.
    I think it’s my OCD that I have, trying to repress my fear and anxiety with compulsive searches to calm it down. I was working with therapist on it and had some success, but sometimes it comes back when I forget that all these searches and googling is for the same purpose to distract or repress.
    And I can’t trust myself either so I’m glad you said it because it makes me think it’s not just me and my random thoughts. Thank you for this!

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Indeed. I also like to say "This is your brain on TMS!" :p
    Forgive your brain, and tell it "Thanks, but this isn't necessary!"

KseniyaM likes this.