1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Transcendental Meditation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by joseph32, Jan 28, 2014.

1. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

Hello All,

Anyone try Transcendental Meditation?? I was wondering about it and where you learned it. Thank you.

joseph

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I do it often. Its been nagged with witchery but its not. Its your imagination doing wonders for you. We think all the time but we never think about what are we thinking about so we have lessons like this style of meditation in which you can travel in clouds and actually feel your anxiety slip through the clouds and fall to earth. I have seen some of the metaphysical sides of transcendental meditation and Im not into the occult. I like knowing im flying safe so I just go to beaches and rain forest and so.

I cant recall a teachers name other than the nlp guys. They all use imaginative work. Its also used in visualizations works and imaging.

I would start with something like transcendental meditation for dummies- for real , these books joseph often have awesome advice,
    Thanks

3. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

Great advise Eric on the book. Is this where you were taught about this form of meditation? If you look online, they want about $1000 for classes for this, which I think is a bit much. A lot of people have had success with this form it seems. Well, I really appreciate your response as always. Thank you...

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I practice a mantra for transcendental meditation and it's worked for me for years:

It's the old one: "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better."

Eric "Herbie" Watson and LindaRK like this.
  5. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

"God's in his heaven,
    All's right with the world."

- Robert Browning
    "Pippa Passes" (1841)

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, this is something -- I didn't learn about the transcendental meditation on here. I learned it through books about the protocol ok. Its basically visualizations and imagery. You can get a lot of self help books that will lead you in this style of meditation. Thanks

joseph32 likes this.
  7. jazzhands

jazzhands Peer Supporter

Joseph, I would recommend reading Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson. He started out studying Transcendental Meditation for its benefits on blood pressure, stress, and of course chronic pain (!), but generalized it to any kind of prayer or meditation. The book itself teaches you how to meditate/pray/whatever you want to do in a way that has many physiological benefits, no need for expensive courses.

8. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

Thank you jazzhands.

9. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

As is my usual habit I looked up the above mentioned book, started reading the reviews and the comments of the reviews (another one of my habits), then googled something I had found - hey, better than googling symptoms! I came across a description for a Quieting Response, a 6 second meditation that can be done anytime, anywhere with eyes wide open. The only hitch is to achieve results you have to do this several times a day over a period of time. Sadly, I am not that disciplined.:couchpotato: Part of it brings to mind the NLP swishing technique that Herbie demonstrates on another thread. Here's the link in case anyone's interested:

http://www.logisens.com/PDF/resources/stress_6secondreduction.pdf

10. Leonor

Leonor Peer Supporter

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I learned this about TM:

The Transcendental Meditation technique is an effortless technique for automatic self-transcending. It allows your mind to settle inward beyond thought to experience the source of thought — pure awareness. This is the most silent and peaceful level of consciousness — your innermost Self.

Research on transcendingThe first studies on the TM technique were conducted at UCLA and Harvard Medical School in the early ‘70s, and were published in Science, American Journal of Physiology, and Scientific American. These landmark studies found that the TM technique produces a unique state of “restful alertness” in the mind and body. No other form of meditation has been found to produce this state.

Since then, many published studies have documented a wide range of physiological indicators of the state of restful alertness. Even though the body is in a state of deep rest, the mind is alert rather than asleep, as indicated by the marked increase in alpha waves during TM practice.

Immediate and long-term benefits
    Automatic self-transcending is the key to the TM technique’s effectiveness, and does not occur in meditations involving concentration or mindfulness. Over 350 published, peer-reviewed studies have collectively found that the TM technique produces immediate and long-term wellness benefits for mind and body.

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi on Effortless Transcending (2:00)

How is Transcendental
    Meditation different?

The TM® technique differs from other techniques
    in three important ways:

1. Effortless transcending
    Unlike other techniques, the TM technique involves no concentration, contemplation or control of your mind. It is effortless and enjoyable, and can be practiced sitting comfortably in a chair.

The TM technique allows your mind to effortlessly transcend to settle inward to the source of thought — a natural state of pure awareness and restful alertness. This automatic self-transcending is a unique feature of the TM technique.

2. Evidence-based
    Over 350 published research studies on the TM technique have documented a wide range of benefits, including reduced stress and anxiety, improved health and brain function, and increased self-actualization. Other forms of meditation may produce effects in specific areas, but only TM has been found in hundreds of studies to produce immediate and long-term wellness benefits for mind and body.

3. Standardized for effectiveness
    Every certified TM teacher ensures consistent effectiveness in your results by providing standardized instruction in TM. In most other meditations, the nature and quality of instruction can vary widely from teacher to teacher.

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I also just read this:

"Transcendental Meditation gives me an island of calm in the midst of so much turbulence." -- Paul McCartney.

13. Leonor

Leonor Peer Supporter

I learned trascendental meditation from a master and he gave me a mantra. It was very expensive and there is no need for that. Afterwards I joined a group and it became too religious for me. Everything that the Mahareshi ordered had to be done only by men and in religion usually you never question the leaders and you don't have doubts, so it was not for me. Don't waste your money, mediation is a a very old technique and most of the different techniques give you good results. When they tell you you will change your life completely it is nonsense, it just helps you, we already know life is deeper then that. I suggest you start with the 8 minute meditation book. You can even order it from the library.

Leonor

14. jazzhands

jazzhands Peer Supporter

Those studies are actually the ones that the Relaxation Response is based on. It's been found that any form of meditation/prayer/relaxation can produce this state...the only thing that is really needed is to sit quietly, breathe deeply and not think for 5-15 minutes at a time. But that's actually surprisingly hard to do, so it helps to read books and get some instruction.