1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Tough Day Today

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Pingman, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

I am new in my TMS journey. Things had been looking up the last few days. My left leg and arm were almost pain free which were the main driver of my anxiety over having MS.

My Dr. has assured me it is anxiety driven and with the help of TMS and the sarno book I agree. I have been having issues with the soles of my feet but I felt as though that was my last hurdle. I decided to stop my sleeping pill my dr. gave 7 days ago and just try some good old melatonin. Last night I slept great but today has been rough. I have been feeling hypersensative nd foggy. I read up on the pill name Tradazone and realized it is actually an antidepressant. I don't know if its not taking the pill or what but I had an episode today where I became foggy and then my left arm and leg got got and tingly, so did my face and i had shooting pain into my leg and arm.

Logic tells me now that it is gone it has to be TMS...neurological conditions don't come on like that and leave. I am staying positive that TMS is rearing its ugly head. Just been a rough day.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Pingman.
    If you're having some good days, it means TMS is working for you.
    It's good that your doctor says your MS is from anxiety. I believe it.
    Have you had any luck with reducing your anxiety by deep breathing?
    I find it really helps me to relax. Deep breathing has a profound effect on
    our mind and body.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Pingman,
    I think it is always a good idea to consult your doctor before stopping any medication. I've heard that Trazadone should be tapered gradually, and this seems to be true of a lot of medications--especially for us sensitive TMS sufferers.

4. Pingman

Thanks Ellen and Walt for the replies. Things have gotten better I will say. I decided for piece of mind to go to a Neuro Dr. who too agreed that I have some lower back issues related to anxiety. He was willing to give me an MRI for piece of mind but I opted not to. For the last 2 days I have been running again and my leg has felt good. The pain and tingling are for the most part gone now. It still feels somewhat weak but as I improve I am sure the nerve will free up when the tension subsides.

The only concern I have left is the pressure in my head. Normally I would chalk it up to sinuses since I always get sinus infections in winter in Indiana. It has just hit while my anxiety was spiked so I am unlcear if it is anxiety or sinuses. Gonna go to my GP and see if it is sinus related. My upper teeth were hurting a few days ago and everyone in my house is sick so I am thinking that I hve some head congestion.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

If the house is full of sick people with colds or anything, you probably caught what they have.
    I'd opt out of a MRI or any screening or scanning, but am not a doctor so I can't advise you,
    just what I would do.
    For sinuses, have you tried SinuCleanse? It's nasal wash that clears the nasal passages.
    I bought one at the drug store. There's also a yoga trick of breathing in a little water in each nose.
    It's the time of year for colds and sinus problems. Nothing really to worry about. Even just
    deep breathing can help.

6. Dahlia

Dahlia Well known member

Hi Pingman.
    Now that you are onto the tricks TMS plays, you'll eventually sort out what is TMS and what is not. For what it's worth, I've had sinus pressure, teeth aching, mouth burning, head hurting ,etc. and it was TMS all along, just moving from one place to another.
    I too had recurring sinus infections for years and finally broke that cycle by rinsing my sinuses with a saline solution every day. Sounds hard - like you'll drown- but it's really easy. I bought a plastic condiment bottle at Walmart - the kind with a pointy tip. I mix saline using 1 quart filtered water with 2 tsp. Kosher salt and 1 tsp. baking soda. You just lean over sink, tip your head to the side, pour the saline in one side of your nose and let it run out the other. Then do the other side. Easy. Got this formula from a sinus doc. Good luck.

7. Pingman

Mary - thanks for all the input. Yesterday I really stood up to my anxiousness over my head fogginess and today I am a little better. I have a netti pot i forgot about and used it too.

TMS is powerful. I am gonna roll with the punches and when my head gets foggy I will chalk it up to TMS and fear and move on.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

MaryBoz, I use a similar netti pot saline water cleanser (SinuCleanse) and it really does open the sinuses.

9. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

Hi Pingman, Just wanted to chime in on the use of Trazodone. I doubt that it had any effect on your mood or caused physical symptoms. It's not a very effective anti-depressant, but it was found to be effective for insomnia. The doses are very different. Only a fraction of the AD dose is used for sleep. I've always wondered how 50 mg can make you sleep, but 300 mg is supposed to make you not depressed. Anyway, it's not something that you have to be concerned about starting and stopping, it doesn't have to be taken continuously. Of course, always speak to your doctor or pharmacist. I'm not either, I just happen to work with drug information frequently.

Hope you are having better days!

10. Pingman

Thanks Panda! I think in general my OCD tendencies make me worried about taking pills. I am doing a little better with the sleep just using unisom.

I have increased my excercise and am running more each day. My leg feels a little off but I think it swas due to my obsessive focus on it for so many weeks that I made it weaker by favoring it. Just gonna take some time.

My biggest worry now is my vision and naseua. I think TMS has fliped on me and moved. I know that for the last few weeks I have been waking up extremely nervous for smoe reason with an upset belly. My dr. says that my anxiety is causing it and that is why my vision appears off during the day. I keep focusing on it all day and when it appears blurry or foggy I can geel the anxiety. I just had an eye appt and all checked out ok. It all boils back to the MS fear and each time TMS manifests something I can link it to MS and that is why I am struggling to let go.

I am a rational person and my Drs say 99.999999% chance I don't have it but without and MRI each TMS manifestation makes me more anxious. I know I have to get stronger and break the cycle. I guess now I am anxious and about my anxiousness.

11. Pingman

One update..... had to go in and get my contacts I ordered and told my eye doc about my symptoms. She ran an optomap on my eyes, pic of the optic nerves as well as many other in depth tests for peripheral vision, depths etc...

Said my eyes could not be anymore perfect all around for a 36 year old IT programmer aside from my normal prescription. This was a huge relief since usually the optic nerve shows signs of MS when vision issues are involved.

TMS has found my weak spot again...time to fight this battle. It has picked two area that are constant reminders...walking and vision.