1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Torn rotator cuff?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by painbegone, Oct 28, 2013.

1. painbegone

painbegone New Member

does TMS apply to a torn rotator cuff? does anyone know?

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

3. painbegone

painbegone New Member

Herbie, thank you. I called my Dr. yesterday and he told me the same. I'll read the entry from last Tuesday, too. Pam

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Painbegone, I had a so-called torn rotator cuff (superspinatis) tear not coincidentally I should say a little before but at approximately the same time as my TMS relapse in 2007-2008 when my back pain and sciatica resurfaced. The doctors wanted to operate on my shoulder based on my MRI, but I said NO, NO, NO. And guess what? 6 weeks later I was pain-free and today my left arm is completely back to normal. Obviously, there was a partial tear of my rotator cuff but TMS raised my pain levels so much I ran to the doctors for shoulder surgery. Good idea to wait a good long while before going down the surgery path to see if your pain levels drop in the meanwhile. Today I have full range of motion in my left shoulder and it's functional enough to do pull ups and bar dips. What more do you want? Besides any invasive procedure such as surgery carries risks. Of course, I'm not a physician and cannot diagnose and treat, but waiting a while can't hurt. I've even been told there is only a certain window of opportunity for superspinatis surgery, but then I've seen people who waited a whole year before doing it. Why? They were still in pain a year after the injury which suggests to me that it was TMS rather than a shoulder tear, the pain of which should diminish markedly after 2 months even if range of motion has not been restored.

A rotator cuff tear, it seems to me, falls in that shadow world where TMS heightens a minor injury so much it convinces the patient he needs surgery.

fridaynotes likes this.
  5. painbegone

painbegone New Member

Thank you Bruce. I'm still unsure but I'm hopeful that as I keep working this my emotions will meet up with my brain.

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Your brain will take control of your emotions instead of your emotions
    running rampant like they have been doing.

We gain emotion control and we heal, that's the beginning of wisdom.

7. painbegone

painbegone New Member

It is very true that I am controlled by emotion. I have always been aware of that but I didn't know how to control them or that it was the cause of so much PAIN! I'll keep working. Thanks for the words. Pam