1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. Torn meniscus and tms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Trainert, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Trainert

Trainert New Member

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi,
    I have a developed knee pain over the past few months. My mri shows a torn meniscus. My orthopedist who is familiar with Dr Srano's approach said he would think it is tms except for the fluid that is in my knee. Does fluid indicate a lack f tms? Or, is that just "inflammation"? I am ready to treat it as tms but don't want to hurt myself if it is not. Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Tammie

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2016
  2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question, Tammie.

Some meniscus tears are real, some are incidental findings. Certainly, fluid in your knee is a factor to consider when discerning between a TMS or non-TMS approach. Luckily, there are some TMS physicians who have a specialty in orthopedic medicine. I would strongly recommend seeing a TMS Doctor, even if this means investing in a trip to another city to see one.

I know of one such TMS physician in Los Angeles whose name is David Schechter. If you are not on the west coast, I would imagine that the TMS community would be able to recommend a TMS physician in your region.

Hopefully you will find the clarity that you need to move forward in your recovery.

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Trainert

Trainert New Member

Thank you for your response. I live in South fl. I am still seeking out a tms doctor.

4. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

Trainert: I had a torn meniscus. I tried to TMS it away. I did go to Dr. Schubiner here in Michigan. He confirmed it needed surgery which I received and doing well since. Don't rule out physical condition on this one.

Trainert and Tennis Tom like this.
  5. Trainert

Trainert New Member

Is Dr. Scrubiner familiar with tms?

6. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

Yeah he's the best in the Midwest. Wrote book called "Unlearn your pain" many people on this web site have read his material and familiar with his TMS approach.

7. Trainert

Trainert New Member

Now that it is a year later, i wanted to share my experience with my knee for anyone who has a torn meniscus. I ended up becoming 99% convinced that my knee problems were TMS. I was at a point that I could barely walk up a flight of stairs. As a personal trainer, I was desperate to help myself find the answer. After researching TMS doctors in Fl and having no success finding someone, I ended up getting in touch with a TMS doctor over email. It took me 2 weeks of intense free association and soul searching but I was able to cure the TMS. I am forever grateful for this site and to all the stories that helped me through my own journey.

8. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

I had the same problem and it went away. The back, hip and foot pain still linger arg !

9. hambone

hambone Peer Supporter

What TMS doctor helped you by email?