1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New Program Toothache? TMS??

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Bodhigirl, Feb 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Out of the seeming blue: a scary toothache. Cancelled my day and headed to my dentist. Xrays. Then an endodontist. Back to dentist.
    Bone loss.
    It’s real.
    I don’t trust the doctors. Just don’t. Extraction needed and bone graft. And implant.
    Want it to be TMS! So badly! Really don’t want surgery and recovery time and more surgery. I don’t like going to the dentist though I get cleaned regularly.
    Floss every day!
    It’s a product of age. And clenching. I use a night guard. I want to use our talking cure and tell it to go away. But I saw the X-ray.
    I told my dentist about TMS.
    Told the endodontist, too.
    They didn’t think there was anything about this that wasn’t “real” yet I know my orthopedist told me years ago I would need hip replacements and it was total BS. My hips are fine now. No back pain. It was TMS and needing my psoas remedied with deep tissue work. And yoga!
    Anyone weigh in on teeth? Please? Thanks!

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Bodhigirl,

I am no expert, but did the dentist say why bone loss would hurt? I have some bone loss, also from clenching, and wear a night guard. But no pain. Wouldn't your teeth just quietly get loose and eventually fall out if the bone loss was extreme? And I'm not suggesting that is the case for you, just asking some questions for you to think about. I can't figure out the cause for the pain, which at least makes me wonder if it is TMS. Although I don't know, they may have satisfactorily answered that question.

Tooth pain is really hard to ignore, but I hope you are able to decide it's TMS symptoms and not have to get an implant! But if so, it will be ok. My daughter was missing one of her permanent molars and had to have an implant at 18. She's had it 12 years and it has been great.
    All the best to you, Lizzy

3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I just went through this deal within the last few months.
    To keep it short, Pain in the tooth (teeth) visit to Dentist (for cleaning...already suspected TMS) and the Dentist confirmed that the pain was irregular...that is, not a result of the bone loss.

At the time I was Watching my Dying Mother, having trouble with money, in a new relationship with all of its stuff and having a reeeally tough time interacting with my brother....on top of being in charge at work, being a parent, etc,etc,etc.

I used the same tool kit we use for back pain on the teeth. The pain began to move around and then left. I have caught myself clenching my teeth but it really began in earnest when I began watching My Mom. She passed away this weekend. Still in process. But the pain is gone...just a little distracted by the scary 'bone loss' story

Bodhigirl likes this.
  4. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

I’m so sorry for your loss.
    I am approaching it as TMS while I do the research re an oral surgeon.
    Since I wrote this yesterday the pain has stopped.
    I am incredibly anxious. Studying continuing education for renewal of my clinical license - on a topic that is deeply personal. My fears and anxieties are through the roof.
    So, TMS? Likely. Though the bone loss is significant. It feels like another medicratic scam. Maybe we all have bone loss in our 60’s?Yet, I will keep my mind open.
    Again, thanks for your kind reply. I will also watch the clenching, too. (Watched it most of the night instead of sleeping well. It’s not easy being a person these days, for sure.)