1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Toothache or TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Artmuzz, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

I have been suffering from toothache off and on for several months in my front tooth. I can go days without any pain and then out of blue my tooth hurts and it usually lasts a whole day.

With this tooth pain the pain sometimes radiates to my jaw joint and some molars. I woke up this morning feeling fine then just out of the blue my tooth started bothering me again so I have arranged an appointment with my dentist.

The tooth looks a bit discoloured with a thin brown line running down it from a white filling but it's strange how it's painful one day then other days I get no pain. Is this TMS as I suffer other TMS pains like migraines, lower back pain and sometimes sciatica?

As I have mentioned on here I suffer from anxiety, depression, panic disorder and suppressed anger and emotional stress for years. Please advise.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  2. Artmuzz

My tooth seems to be fine just now and through the fact I had high anxiety and emotional stress over going to the dentist I had to cancel the appointment. I know that the pain will return again sooner or later so I booked another appointment for the following day for an afternoon appointment because my anxiety isn't as bad in the afternoon as it is in the morning and I know if I go to the dentist stressed out I will feel unwell for the rest of the day. I wonder if my dentist will know this is TMS.

3. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Artmuzz,

You are right to go to the dentist, because first you need to see if something physical is wrong with your tooth. The dentist probably knows nothing about TMS, but will be able to tell if anything is going on, such as a crack. Hopefully nothing is found and you can proceed with treating it as a mind body symptom. I have had my teeth bother me and exploring the psychological has worked. I'm also able to go to the dentist now and have a cleaning without discomfort. My front bottom teeth used to bother me, but now I talk to my brain and am ok. Claire Weekes says, we feel differently because we think differently. It's neuroplasticity, and I'm learning to love it! Best of luck,

Lizzy

4. Artmuzz

Thanks for the reply Lizzy,

It's interesting when you say you can now go for a cleaning and not feel a thing because before I suffered from emotional stress I never felt any pain when the dentist drilled my tooth but since suffering from severe anxiety and emotional stress I can feel pain when the dentist drills my tooth even when my mouth is numbed with local anaesthetic.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Lizzy likes this.
  5. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Goodness! I never put two and two together, but I used to experience the same thing! I would still feel the pain even though I was numb. TMS is stunning me still

6. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

I’m so glad I found and read this thread. I have had three opinions regarding a tooth “that needs to come out.”
    I don’t know if it’s true, I’m still not convinced. It hurts intermittently. I had a root canal on that tooth thirty years ago. There is a little shadow on the scan, but it seemed vague re: this needs to come out.
    I have moved my appointment out a week. I have had a spacer made in preparation for months of healing followed by an implant. And a crown after that. Whew.
    I have had large stressors lately. The Woolsey Fire and it’s losses continue to visit me. The stormy weather has kept me from horses on and off for days this winter. It is raining again today and I find myself tired, lethargic and moderately anxious. I have had a lot to do with taking care of our house. I have a few very high acuity patients that I work on in my sleep, seeking answers in my busy unconscious.
    I know I fear dental pain, any kind of pain. Fear is our trigger... for me, most re than anger, though there is certainly anger ...especially around the news, here and abroad.
    Just re-read Alan’s piece on Outcome Independence. I use it all the time when exercising. It helps!
    I wish I trusted these dentists, endodontists and periodontists. It’s so easy to pull someone else’s tooth, I suppose. I am the one to live with the loss if I go along. I wish I had a fairy godmother who could drop by and say “Wait.” ...maybe this group suffices!