1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tooth Ache - Really could use some support :(

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by yoyo12, Oct 18, 2017.

1. yoyo12

yoyo12 Peer Supporter

Managed to get rid of my obsession with my main symptom. I had finally let go of it and started to see improvement, only to have it replaced with a tooth ache. Symptom imperative at work? Has anyone had tooth pain as tms? The pain didn't start until i read something about it by the way. I've had a little translucent line on my tooth for a quite a while now and decided to look something up abt it as i find it asthaetically displeasing, when I read about all the possible things that could be wrong with my teeth, the pain started...And of course now I'm completely obsessing about it.

I went to the dentist today and she couldn't find anything wrong. It's not loose, or cracked or anything. In fact, everything looks extremely healthy. She said the only other possibility there is, is that my dental nerve is dying off as i bit onto something tough like a month ago, but nothing showed up on the X-ray or anything though + she performed a test to check if I still hav feeling in that tooth and it was ok, so she didn't seemed worried. I feel like it might be tms hiding in a previous injury (when I bit onto something hard a month ago. My tooth hurt for like an hour and I was worried about it but the pain went away very quickly and it hadn't hurt since).

I was relieved for a bit, but then I did something I shouldn't have. Like a true TMS-er I started looking stuff up on google. Now I'm REALLY worried my dental nerve is dying and i'll need a root canal because they said a dying nerve can be hard to detect! :(

I hope someone could give me some reassurance, I finally thought my days of deep depression because of my first symptom were over, and now this pops up :(

2. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

Nothing worse as toothache as they say and you have my sympathies.

As you have mentioned root canals im presuming that the tooth in question is at the side? This could be something as simple as grinding your teeth during the night or even anxiety.

This happens to me the odd time now and again but had it really bad for a period around 10 years ago. Sometimes so bad, that I wanted to chop my head off lol. Ended up sleeping with a mouth guard at night for a couple of months.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there yoyo!

Going to see your dentist for a concern was the right thing to do.
    Googling all of the possible things that could be wrong with your tooth is the wrong thing to do.
    And, you already know both of these to be true, right? :D

Symptom imperative, indeed - I'm all about the shifting symptoms, including tooth pain which comes and goes. The last time I was in for a cleaning, I complained about some pain I'd been having, and my excellent dentist of ten years did all the same tests with inconclusive results. He said there's no need for me to see the endodontist for an evaluation at this point, and to let him know if there is a sudden extreme increase in the pain.

Sonic mentioned grinding, but there's also clenching without grinding. I used to have a night guard to protect my teeth against clenching, but after engaging in this work, I realized I could teach myself to not clench at night (using a little pre-sleep mindfulness and self-talk). But during periods of high stress, I still get random tooth pain!

~Jan

4. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

YoYo, the teeth are the gateway to self expression. Try to let your subconscious tell you what you fear saying outloud.
    Your nerve will be okay. You are holding the memory of stunning your tooth on the hard object and now your mind is sending the pain there.

5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

My main TMS bugbear has been awful toothpain (atypical trigeminal neuralgia and tmj constellating in one place). It started after an over-zealous homecleaning developed into obsession and became full blown TMS. I've written many posts about it.

Two things: I agree with the posts above regarding stress, clenching and grinding. That has been a major factor for me. If you read 'My Story' you'll see how I have reduced tension and pain.

The other thing is that our teeth can fully remineralise and heal. A few simple dietary changes can affect a dramatic change for the good.

I started with Ramiel Nagel's book called "Cure Tooth Decay" (it's on Amazon) and progressed to Weston Price. I have no fillings, no cavities, no root canals, just beautifully healthy teeth and gums.

All the best,

Plum x

Lily Rose likes this.
  6. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Yes, toothache can be TMS! I think every body part can feel pain and every sort of pain can Be TMS. Five days before my marriage a bad toothache started. A stupid doctor pulled one tooth out because he was afraid that it was a beginning root inflammation. But the pain continued and did not stop until after two years later ... and another tooth that had been extracted. The pain had nothing to do with the two teeth they pulled out. My body told me that this marriage was wrong, that literally I will lose my bite when I marry this guy. Needless to say that I am divorced and my teeth were so much wiser than me .
    The funny thing is that one of my colleagues at that time told me that in Switzerland in the beginning of the 20th century or so they pulled out all the teeth of a woman before marriage. That was the custom in very rural areas, he explained because it was too expensive to use a dentist. I think there is a more psychoanalytic explanation for that. After all artificial teeth also cost some money .... I haven’t checked this, so I don’t know whether it is true or not ..