1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Took a Walk for the first time in 3 months!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by samantha, Apr 1, 2014.

1. samantha

samantha Peer Supporter

Three months ago, I was unable to walk due to back spasms. I went to the doctor, dutifully following the treatment plan- steroids, muscle relaxers and pain meds. I had 6 weeks of physical therapy and all sorts of exercises. After therapy, I still had daily pain and walked with a brace and a cane. I read Dr. Sarno's book, found this website and have worked on the program for 3 weeks. Yesterday, my husband and I went for a walk. A friend saw us at the bottom of the hill and offered to drive me back up (he has seen me hobble around for weeks). I told him I was fine! I walked back up the hill with no pain. By the time I got home, my legs felt stronger than before, and I had no pain. I am indebted to this site and to Scott Brady's book, "Pain Free for Life". He wrote a section on speaking boldly to your pain. I have done this and have talked myself out of several muscle spasms. I am not fully recovered (old thinking and habits take time to reverse) but I am absolutely certain that I will be!

Sussex TMS, LindaRK, Mala and 6 others like this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

:)I love success stories. This is a success if i have ever heard one. You did it, you have made that leap in your belief.
    You have the keys now, work them all the time. Awesome. Bless you:)

North Star likes this.
  3. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

4. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Wow Samantha, that's fantastic !! Well done :joyful:

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

That's wonderful, Samantha. Climbing the hill was a great achievement.

Now you know you can, and it will help you "climb higher."

North Star likes this.
  6. samantha

samantha Peer Supporter

On my second walk, I actually had a harder time, but pushed through, not allowing the pain to dictate my response. I am now on day 4 of daily walks. For the first time, didn't have to grab my husbands arm to help me!!! Every day I have more confidence. Sometimes the pain travels and I speak to it, telling myself to 'cut it out'. Within minutes I'm fine. dancea

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Love it, keep us posted on how you continue to do, I am so interested in your perseverance. Remember sometimes we can get in a light walk too if that sounds ok. I have a hard workout and then an easy workout. The best plan is always what works best for you though.
    Bless You

samantha likes this.
  8. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Way to go, Samantha!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  9. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Samantha, you go, girl!! How liberating to discover that WE have the key to our own recovery!
    I'm THRILLED for you!
    Cheers!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  10. samantha

samantha Peer Supporter

Update- I'm on week 3 of my recovery. I had to take a business trip into the city. Drove for several hours, walked along city blocks, came home at night and had to work the next day. All with minimum discomfort. Today I read about the fear of relapse, which is very pertinent. I woke up stiff and sore and I realized it's fear related. Will take a walk here shortly and let you all know how it went!

Ellen likes this.
  11. samantha

samantha Peer Supporter

I'm back from my walk. It was very enlightening. The pain traveled to my hips and I felt as if screws were tightening to inhibit my stride. It lasted to the bottom of the hill. On the way back up I felt looser, but not entirely pain free. On the way home, my husband and I discussed the walking strategy. As the weather gets warmer, we're going to take 2 walks, building my strength and stamina. It's very encouraging to know that our minds can effect our bodies. If my subconscious mind can produce pain and stiffness, my conscious mind can produce heath and strength. Knowledge is indeed power!

Becca and Richsimm22 like this.
  12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Wonderful, Samantha. You're doing great.

Steve Ozanich says we shouldn't "gauge" our exercise, or weigh whether it hurts or not.
    Distract ourself with happy thoughts.

samantha likes this.
  13. Becca

Becca Well known member

I LOVE this!! Congratulations on all your success, not just in terms of physical symptoms, but in achieving this strong, powerful, and quite honestly, rather inspirational mindset. That alone deserves some sort of celebration :joyful:

nowtimecoach, samantha and Richsimm22 like this.
  14. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

This is the story about a TMS'er who went up a hill and came down a mountain!
    Congratulations, Samantha.
    I too, suffer from spasms that have kept me from walking and sitting for several months now. I just walked a mile on Saturday and I relate to everything you said - it's a wonderful feeling. Keep up the good work!

nowtimecoach, Becca and samantha like this.
  15. LindaRK

LindaRK Well known member

Hurray for you ....... you're making great strides. Try not to be too hard on yourself, too. I found myself getting caught up in that. Part of my exercise regimen is walking 2 miles every day. Initially, Or I would try to focus on things around me, but "those thoughts" would creep in. So, now I use my iPod and listen to music and it perks me up, too!

samantha likes this.
  16. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

LindaRK, you're doing the right thing by listening to music while you walk.
    It lifts your spirit and takes your mind off any pain or other things that may worry you.

Portable music is a great invention.

LindaRK likes this.