1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Too much tms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by mncjl123, Jun 29, 2016.

1. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

what do you do when you have immersed yourself into the TMS therapy and also want to live a normal life without thinking everything is TMS? I feel like I am going TMS crazy now. Reiterating the Sarno steps in my brain. How do I stop saying to myself this is TMS, think psychological not physical, start being active, nothing will hurt you, nothing is wrong with you, etc... It is becoming obsessive, and it seems strange to get the point of being pain free and doing this in my mind for the rest of my life.

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

OCD is a TMS, so watch out! Meditation on one hand and switching your attention to things you love doing - that would be my suggestion.

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

What activity would you like to do?

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

This is affectionately known as 'tms~ing about tms~ing'. It is an abstract part of the learning process that precedes deeper knowing or faith. Much as when we buy a new car and see versions of our new vehicle everywhere there is a phase of healing where we see or wish to see tms in everything and everyone.

It can be a particularly vexing period especially when people point out that it is simply a manifestation of your intensity. This stage is another manifestation of your intensity :)

The only way out of it is through it. It does burn itself out for most of us. The trick is to be able to see how you are being overzealous, having a little chuckle about it and then jumping back in the saddle with your sense of humour riding bareback alongside.

Meantime try being nice to your parasympathetic nervous system (PNS). Research has shown that twice daily relaxation lasting for 20 minutes each time is enough to re-engage the PNS. Not sleeping. Not sitting around while your mind plays Craps. But actually relaxing, letting go, letting be. Until you can do this, healing is a zero-sum game.

birdsetfree, TG957, Abbo and 2 others like this.
  5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow! Could not say it better!

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, mncjl. The others have given you excellent advice. I would just like to suggest you may find relief from obsessive thinking about TMS or anything by watching this free video at youtube.

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vx8iUvfyCY