1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 13 Too much information

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by runfromit, Jan 26, 2019.

1. runfromit

runfromit Newcomer

I have been working through the structured education program slowly, sometimes every day, sometimes I skip a day, sometimes I do two days at once. Just going at my own pace, sometimes I skip a day when I feel like I need a break. Then I've gone through Alan's program on this site. That one really spoke to me so I burned through it and now I'm going over it again. I also have read two of Dr. Sarno's books and now I have another book by Schubiner.

Part of the problem with all of this is how I approach learning something new. I gather as much information as I possibly can and I read all of it. I'm trying to master the subject. I've always done this. As soon as I am interested in something or learn about something I feel the need, and sometimes pressure myself, to know as much as I can about it.

This personality trait has served me well on certain things - I have a PhD in Physics and I am at the top of the field in my work. I really love to learn as much as I can about new things all the time.

In this instance, however, it is not serving me well. I feel like it is stalling the real work that I need to do, but somehow I can't seem to stop myself. I feel like if I don't read something then I will miss some key thing that I have to do in order to get better.

Any suggestions or advice to get myself off of this gathering stage and put aside the fear that I'm missing out on some key information?

ChronicVince and Rainstorm B like this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the Forum!

This is a very common delaying tactic among us TMSers. The fact that you are aware that this is what you are doing is very helpful.

To get beyond it, I'll just point out that many, many people (myself included) have recovered from TMS without having a complete understanding of how TMS works. There is an element of faith needed, I guess. Or maybe you can just call it a gut feeling that this approach is the right one for me. So I suggest picking a treatment approach and applying it patiently and consistently despite not understanding completely how or why it may work. That is what worked for me, though I continue to research and read about TMS. I am still somewhat in awe of my recovery and consider it miraculous in many ways, since I still don't completely understand how the treatment worked.

Learning to live with the unknowable and uncertain is part of TMS recovery. We will likely never completely understand how the human mind and brain work, but we can live pain free and happy lives anyway.

Best wishes to you........

ChronicVince and Rainstorm B like this.
  3. srton

srton Well known member

ummmm yeah - i know how that goes. I'm a big reader and learner as well but it's often a way to avoid FEELING - and that's how i get myself into trouble with the TMS stuff.
    The brain is so mysterious - all of the things it does and all of the complex ways we think - there is NO WAY that I could ever intellectualize and fully grasp the nuts and bolts of TMS. It's enough to realize that it's real and heal we need to dial back on the how and why and focus on the feels.
    all the best!!!!!!
    srton

4. Rainstorm B

Rainstorm B Peer Supporter

Yep. Over-informing myself is a major thing for me too. In fact, I could probably do a PhD in TMS Theory! Actually applying it day to day is, of course, another matter...
    Seems to be pretty common and is definitely a defence mechanism against getting too close to the stuff that needs to be looked at, as well as giving a false impression of control to the ego. As Ellen so wisely and eloquently says, it is in fact the very opposite of what we actually need to be doing in order to recover. I already know this, as, I suspect, do you...

So, what to do about it? I guess we just have to stop researching and get the hell on with it...

The conversation we are having here is in fact just further procrastination!
    Onward to action...

ChronicVince and Ellen like this.