1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Today's drama

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by North Star, Jun 25, 2014.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

This is off topic from TMS but in a way….not. Because it's dealing with a situation that started unfolding in our home at 1:00am last night.

My two sons, 19 and 16, were heading back from a trip to OH when their car started making ominous sounds. They hunkered in in a parking lot for a few hours sleep before venturing out again (against my hubby's advice.) The car blew a rod. Right though the engine. This was at 5am.

Here's the rest of the tale that I posted to friends and family on Facebook.

An update on the "Stranded in Sioux City Saga". Some fellow who came to help them…dropped them off at a homeless shelter. (?!) They were both freaked out. I was getting freaked out. The idea of my sons staying in a dorm with 50 strangers didn't sit well with me. And it also INFURIATED me that they took the food in their cooler. ("It's for Jesus," they said. WTH, I said.) So anyway, I posted the need on a Q&A Amish forum here on FB. Within minutes, a sweet lady commented and asked for my phone number. They live about an hour south of where the boys are at. I could tell she was feeling me out to make sure I wasn't some axe-wielding nut job running a scam. They'd need a place to stay for a few days, I said. "Would they be willing to help her husband tear down a barn?" she asked. I assured her that if there was one thing my boys love it's demolition work. She then asked if they need to bring a trailer to haul away the car. (That blew my mind. We had no idea what to do with it as it was sitting in a Home Depot parking lot. My son had AAA haul the car there instead of to the junk yard. :wtf: Don't ask why.) I asked if they could haul it to the salvage yard. Yup, she said. They go there frequently with the barn demolition.

She's excited about having the boys and said they have an extra bedroom. They will take good care of the boys, she said. She was also really excited that my older son is a Mennonite; they would like to become Mennonite too but are practicing Amish right now. We both agreed that perhaps there was a little Providence behind this. She added, "We feel like God put us here to help people."

So. These lovely people are going to host my two boys while we sort out their return arrangements. We'll either drive down to get them or a family from my son's church will be passing through on Sunday and could pick them up. They will be able to get the car unloaded and get the beast salvaged for a few bucks.
    I gotta admit, my encouragement to the boys to "Treat this as an adventure" was sounding a little hollow by the time the afternoon was stretching on with no answers in sight.

I know most everyone who helps TMS'ers acknowledge the role of faith in healing but I gotta admit, I've been borderline atheist these past few years after many years of a strong church life. Too many unanswered prayers: I can do this on my own, thank you very much.

And then something like this unfolds and I realize maybe I can't do this on my own. And maybe just maybe…I sense a little wink from the Divine.

yb44 likes this.
  2. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, North Star, this is quite a tale and truly an adventure for your boys - and you! I shed a few tears while reading this. Thank you for posting it.

North Star likes this.
  3. North Star

Thanks, yb44! It was sure an emotional roller coaster, that's for sure! I'm eager to here from them today. :)

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Great story! The Amish as well as other religions have been taking huge bashings in "THE MEDIA" and on the UN-Real, reality TV garbage shows, as well as the Catholic church, Mormons and all religions originating from the Judeo-Christian ethic. Other traditional American institutions such as the Boy Scouts, football, NASCAR also get bashed too by the new-agey hip types. I find the new-agers like people in the abstract--but when it comes to real-life situations such as in this thread, to actually interrupt their busy lives, inviting real live people into their homes, helping them-- that ain't gonna' happen--maybe attend a fund raising benefit party/dance.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    North Star likes this.
  5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

There are more stories of people helping others than one is led to believe in traditional news and TV. That's why I love this website that posts 'good news' and try to make a habit of visiting it regularly.

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/

North Star, hoping your sons get home safely.

North Star likes this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

North star,

Great story, I know the feeling of losing hope at times. I'm am struggling with that right now, but know god is good. He loves you unconditionally and will always be there for you even when you feel he is not. This was my reading this morning, talk about good timing for where I am at, hope you enjoy.
    Ryan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jun 26, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Path to Miracle: Goes Through Uncomfortable Territory
    by Rick Warren

“Then the LORD spoke his word to Elijah, ‘Go to Zarephath in Sidon and live there. I have commanded a widow there to take care of you.’ So Elijah went to Zarephath.” (1 Kings 17:8-10a NCV)

When you’re scared to death and vulnerable, you don’t know where you’re going, you don’t know how long it’s going to take, and you don’t know what’s going to happen when you get there, what do you do?

You remember that the path to a miracle is always through uncomfortable territory.

The Bible gives an illustration in 1 Kings 17:8-10: “Then the LORD spoke his word to Elijah, ‘Go to Zarephath in Sidon and live there. I have commanded a widow there to take care of you.’ So Elijah went to Zarephath” (NCV).

God told Elijah to walk more than 100 miles during a drought through dangerous territory, where everyone knew who he was, and everyone knew King Ahab had a price on Elijah’s head. When Elijah finally made it to Zarephath, he met a poor widow who was going to feed him, but how could she help defend or protect him from a pagan town full of people who wouldn’t hesitate to kill him?

Miracles don’t happen when things are comfortable. Miracles happen when things are uncomfortable. Elijah didn’t say, “God, there are three things wrong with this plan. One, you’re sending me in the wrong direction. Two, you’re sending me to the wrong location. And three, you’re sending me to the wrong protection.”

Elijah just obeyed.

The path to a miracle is always through uncomfortable territory.

For instance —

• When Moses led the Israelites out of slavery to the Promised Land, they had to go through the Red Sea first.
    • Before David could slay Goliath, he had to walk onto the battlefield.
    • God told Jehoshaphat to put the choir before the army, and he’d win the victory. How much faith do you think that took?
    Miracles never happen in your comfort zone, when everything’s great and convenient. You don’t need a miracle when everything is settled in your life. You only need a miracle when you’re on the edge, when you’re scared to death, when you’re insecure, when you can get hit at any angle.

Are you at a place right now in your life where things are a little uncomfortable — financially, emotionally, relationally, or physically? You’re a little nervous, a little on the edge, a little insecure. Congratulations. You’re on the path to a miracle!

Just like Elijah, God wants you to obey, so you can see his miracle at the end of the road.

Talk It Over

• What is God asking you to do that makes you uncomfortable?
    • What do you want God to do in your life? How have you expressed your anticipation of his miracle in your life?
    • Who are the people who can encourage you on the uncomfortable road you may be walking right now?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]Our Gift: Choose Joy by Kay Warren
    Why are some people—even in the toughest times—always filled with joy, while most of us can't seem to find lasting joy no matter how hard we search? Do joy-filled people know something we don't?

MORE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]The Habits of Happiness: Complete Series
    Join Pastor Rick for this series on developing the daily habits that will make you a happy person as he walks through Philippians, the happiest book in the Bible.

MORE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This devotional is based on the current Daily Hope radio series atwww.rickwarren.org.

Rick Warren has helped people live with hope and on purpose for more than 40 years. He’s the founding pastor of Saddleback Church in Southern California and author of several books, including “The Purpose Driven Church” and “The Purpose Driven Life,” read by more than 100 million people in 137 languages. He created the PEACE Plan (plant churches of reconciliation, equip servant leaders, assist the poor, care for the sick, educate the next generation), which is used by churches in 196 countries. His radio teaching and daily devotional, Daily Hope, is offered across America.

[​IMG]
    Follow Us:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Follow Pastor Rick on Facebook and Twitter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tennis Tom and North Star like this.
  7. North Star

Oh yeah, Tennis Tom, that has been my experience as well. Well put!

Ellen, I put that link in my toolbar front and center. (Right next to my Smile Amazon link so this website can earn from my frequent Amazon purchases. :) ) Thank you!

Ryan, thank you for your thoughtful addition. I have the highest respect for Rick Warren; he continues to speak words of hope to so many even in the light of his own personal loss and tragedies.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

North Star, we all can't wait to learn the end of your story and what your sons think of the adventure.
    I pray all went well. It does seem like a divine hand is in it.

9. North Star

Walt, I talke to my younger son today and they are having a ball. I could hear the smiles in his voice. They had just come back from a "Mountain Dew" run which is fuel for teenagers. hahaha

My hubby may drive down there to pick them up. There's a chance that a local Mennonite family, from my older son's church, will be passing through their on Sunday and may be able to bring them home. The Mennonite/Amish community is a tightly knitted group. There's community here in Montana and they all have roots back to Michigan and Ohio. Lovely, wonderful people. If I could reconcile wearing a plain dress and cap, I might be inclined to join them. hahahaha

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

North Star, that is really great news. I'm so glad your sons are having a good experience with the Mennonites and Amish.
    I think those "simple folk" have the right today. They live in the present moment of simple gifts and values.
    They are truly "in the world" and yet not of it.

This is a really wonderful adventure for your sons. It will give them a totally different outlook on life today.

North Star likes this.