1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

To stop physical therapy

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alfaman147, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Alfaman147

Alfaman147 Well known member

Hey all. I suffer from anal and rectal tension and pressure. Have been going to see a pelvic floor physical therapist and she says I'm super tight down below. I finally have a diagnosis after 5 or 6 years. I have had a gap of about 18 months symptom free but the last month or so it's back. I panicked and it's now an obsession. I went to see a tms therapist and she said if I find physical therapy helps to relax the muscles then it's ok to go. However I think that it doesn't really do anything. It's nice to be told that yes I am tight and tender down there but because of the obsession I think it's just going to prolong the issue. I know it's psychological and the therapist agrees that its a subconscious tensing up. But I'm worried that if I keep going to see her and keep doing the self internal massage it's just a constant reminder. I'm going to stop going I think. I'm having a bad day of it today and can't stop thinking about it which then makes me Google all about it. How people have it and can't get rid of it. But I just wanted some advice. I beat this the last time by just carrying on. The trouble is I want a quick fix. I ordered Steve ozanich's book the great pain deception but haven't read it yet so I may give it a go. When I'm drunk or asleep I have no issues. But I think to break the obsession I need to stop going to physical therapy.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Alfaman. Stop going to physical therapy if you want, and see how you feel. It may be keeping you from believing 100 percent in your symptoms being psychological and not structural. Do read Steve's book. It will give you a lot of confidence in TMS.

3. Alfaman147

I do believe it is just another reminder of an already ingrained obsession. I mean my pain goes when I'm asleep or drunk so it's definitely psychological. I believe I do not have any hidden anger or issues as my life is pretty good. It's just an obsession that I cannot stop thinking about. And the more I think the more I get anxious and worried

4. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016
    Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. Alfaman147

Oh I do. Don't get me wrong I only have maybe 1 can every few days. I was sat watching TV and doing a few jobs last night and it faded away alot. It's just an obsession I have to break into guess and it's not a quick fix which is what I'm expecting

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Didn't you say in one of your posts that your marriage was getting monotonous?--or was that somebody else? Are you switching your thinking to the "psychological" when you feel the pain?-- about the emotional issues behind it. Dr. Sarno did do away with PT early on in developing his TMS theory because he felt it slowed the healing process by reinforcing the structural--massage is OK for some relaxation but not to fix anything structural.

7. Alfaman147

I'm not married tom. I have ups and downs with my girlfriend but nothing that causes me any issue. I have no other issues other than obsessing over this bloody rectal pressure. Is obsession and guilt tms equivalents? I'm feeling guilty about being signed off from work due to depression. Which is stupid I know but it's always a little niggle in my mind. And I'm depressed because I have let this pain get on top of me again. The only stress I have is this pain.

8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Depression is a TMS/affective equivalent, hurry-up and crack into SteveO's book, it will be a positive distraction for you that will explain all your TMS questions. "Curing" TMS is about substituting positive distractions for the negative ones.

9. Alfaman147

Substituting positive for negative???? Haha

10. MrRage

MrRage Peer Supporter

I had 'rectal tension' for six years and I had problems with my pelvic floor when I was 16. After receiving a diagnosis that my urinary frequency and pelvic pain was a consequence of certain mental processes at the age of 18, most of my pelvic pain and urinary frequency disappeared. It was, however, replaced by TMS back pain and other painful symptoms.

It is my belief that most chronic pelvic pain is part of a greater process in the mind-body.

Until discovering the TMS diagnosis, I was often times aware or could sense tension in pelvic area. After accepting the TMS diagnosis, most of that tension has gradually subsided.

Giving up all stretches and physical therapy was, in my case, absolutely necessary.