1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. To feel or not to feel

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by clairem, Mar 29, 2015.

1. clairem

clairem Peer Supporter

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi, i've been experiencing more anger and sadness recently and ive been trying to tolerate it and feel it in the body.

But i have some confusion . What if the emotions we are having are from errors in thinking ? by that i mean that perhaps what we are angry or sad about isnt actually the reality of things perhaps we are just seeing the world through a negative lens? do we still tolerate and feel our emotions or should we challenge these aswell as any distorted thinking?

thanks

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question, clairem.

You raise a very interesting point. Differentiating between emotions and thoughts, particularly thoughts that could be called "cognitive distortions," can be difficult. One thing that is important to consider when assessing your perception and thought process is that your "lens" is created by your experiences (many of them during your formative years). Rather than being critical of yourself for having a "negative lens," view yourself with compassion and be curious about what experiences/events/people helped to shape this lens. This will inevitably bring up some emotions and these are what you want to process.

Sometimes our experiences with chronic and/or debilitating pain can also shape our lens. Chronic pain has a way of making us feel victimized and disempowered. This is the type of thinking that can really become an impediment to healing. I always find it to be a trap to get too focused on emotions related to symptoms because these keep you focused on those symptoms.

View your symptoms as part of a larger mechanism that was employed by your brain to preoccupy and distract you. What are the conditions in your life that made this mechanism kick in? How do you feel about these things?

I know that I'm answering your question with more questions but I hope you understand the gist of what I'm trying to say.

Mindfulness teaches us to not "reject" thoughts because we have little control over what pops into our heads. Instead, observe your thoughts and decide which ones are useful and which are detrimental to your healing. Choose which thoughts you want to own and those which are harmful to you and work towards creating a new lens. Do this with compassion for yourself and with a determination to heal.

Best of luck.

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

clairem likes this.