1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

To attempt to enjoy life or avoid anything fun

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ana321, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Ana321

Ana321 Peer Supporter

Hey all,

Just curious as to whether one should hop on the bandwagon and go travelling around Europe with friends whilst studying in Europe or just avoid doing that at all because of symptoms? As i've said before, i've started the SEP again and am trying to work through this but i limp all the time and sometimes my pain is really hard to handle, other times i'm sort of ok, either way it's something i am dealing with 24/7. I have a couple of friends who want to go travelling and i just keep thinking about whether i'd weigh them down if my symptoms play up which they probably will. I don't want to dampen other people's experiences and i'm just so non stable in terms of my state that i avoid social situations here in Berlin or visiting Museums etc, what would be the point of going to neighbouring countries if i can't do so much where i'm at right now?

What do you guys think?

2. EricFeelsThisWay

EricFeelsThisWay Peer Supporter

I think you should go on the trip! Vacations could go one of two ways: your mind and body could respond very positively to the time off work, the nice weather, having fun with people you care about, and so your pain could subside, or you could be wracked with stress over the traveling, guilt that you're not at work where you "should" be, frustration at friends who don't want to do what you want to do, which could cause the pain to flair up...either way, the experience will be very revealing to you. I can say from experience that I've had both happen all in the same vacation...usually within the same day! It's weird how one moment I can be grateful I'm having a good time and my body relaxes, and then I think about going back to work, and my pain flairs up. It's crazy. Also, you can continue to do the SEP while you're on the trip.

giantsfan likes this.
  3. Ana321

Ana321 Peer Supporter

Thanks for your response Eric.. you're very right.. i'll think about it.. :/

4. Dexy

Dexy Peer Supporter

Oh, go! Don't let TMS symptoms rob you of a wonderful time! Stand up to the pain, don't let it make the decision for you. Do you want to go? If you had no pain, would you go? How would you enjoy yourself if you had zero physical pain? If you decide to go, you could visualize how you would enjoy these things without pain, how amazing it would be, and also visualize how you might have the pain or at times have the pain, and how can you still enjoy everything, while allowing the pain to be there (which I know seems totally impossible when the pain is there, but I promise you, it is not!). I recently did this on a vacation to Maui and had the most incredible time, when the pain was there and when it wasn't. It felt so empowering and wonderful to know that I made the decision as to how much I was going to enjoy my time and my life, and not the pain. I didn't give the pain my power and I encourage you to do the same!

Boston Redsox and giantsfan like this.
  5. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Go and live life!

Boston Redsox and giantsfan like this.
  6. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

Life is short, take the opportunity when present I say. If on a particular day you can't keep up with your friends maybe you could just do your own thing for a day. I used to solo travel through Europe and it was actually pretty cool. Most importantly try not to beat yourself up on those days that you feel the symptoms more. Remember that by just going you have already made a big dent against TMS, regardless of the outcome.

Anyways, I think you'll be surprised by how much your symptoms will calm down or go away while being distracted travelling and being with your friends. You said yourself that you avoid social situations right now in Berlin, but maybe by doing more social things you might end up strengthening your mindbody.

Cool profile pic btw!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  7. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

You'll be the most interesting person on the trip! And you can always sit in a park if you want to not be social.