1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 TMS Treatment Update

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mncjl123, Apr 13, 2016.

1. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

I am dealing with multiple health challenges as I like to call them now. But, the one that is most painful, that has caused chronic pain since 1989 is Interstitial Cystitis. This has been a very painful year and I can't stop flaring. So, I came to TMS hoping that I can cure this ugly "no cause, no cure" disease. I am willing to accept it is psychological. That has never been a problem for me. So, I was hoping that my relief would come sooner than others. I am clearly all about this can be caused by stress, and my psychological well being.

So, here me now, MR. MIND! This is TMS and this is not a disease with no cause or cure! IT IS PSYCHOLOGICAL! I have a Psychological problem!

I have been through therapy for years, and there is nothing I haven't journal or spelled out or have been angry about or cried about from my horrible growing up. Teased in school, alcoholic parents, religion etc.... So, why can't I get better???? What am I doing wrong.

I don't want to have bladder pain anymore! I don't want to pee every 15 minutes! I want to be able to go places and do things and not be homebound.

Well, I have ranted enough. I am angry....yes.

I want to be well. YES!!!! Please!!!!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, mnc, I would like to give you great promise that you are going to become free of the "no cause, no cure" disease that has been plaguing you.
    You have come to the right web site, the TMSWiki, and are doing the SEProgram. The combination has helped cure me of severe back pain
    and many many others of their symptoms. Interstitial Cystitis... bladder frequency and pain... are among the symptoms from emotional and
    psychological stresses, and not from anything structural, as Dr. Sarno says.

You could benefit greatly by practicing relaxation. I find the Relaxation Response technique to be very helpful in quieting the mind which helps heal the body. It isn't easy for most people to sit quietly with their eyes closed for 20 minutes, so it could be started with 5, then 10, then 15. Eyes closed, no music. Just let your mind think of a word such as "One " which has no real meaning or association. Follow the technique below and see how fast you calm. It is similar to Transcendental Meditation but not religious and costs nothing.

Herbert Benson, M.D. documented benefits experienced through traditional forms of Christian and Jewish prayer. Benson published his Relaxation Response” method of stress reduction without the mysticism associated with TM. Short structured rest periods provide health benefits.

Herbert Benson, M.D.
    Associate Professor of Medicine
    Harvard Medical School
    and founder of the

Benson-Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine
    824 Boylston St.
    Chestnut Hill, MA 02467-2508

Phone: (617) 991-0102 Toll free: (866) 509-0732
    MBMI@CareGroup.Harvard.edu

On some measurements
    The Relaxation Response and Transcendental Meditation
    appear to be similar.

However, TM is taught in a methodical way
    by certified instructors who charge $1,000 to make sure the student
    gets the maximum benefits, with check-ups for life.

TM may be a cult or religion.

There are no such instructors for the free RR
    and no follow up program.

Steps to Elicit the Relaxation Response
    The following is the technique reprinted with permission from Dr. Herbert Benson's book
    The Relaxation Response pages 162-163

1. Sit quietly in a comfortable position.
    2. Close your eyes.
    3. Deeply relax all your muscles,
    beginning at your feet and progressing up to your face.
    Keep them relaxed.

4. Breathe through your nose.
    Become aware of your breathing.
    As you breathe out, say the word, "one"*,
    silently to yourself. For example,
    breathe in ... out, "one",- in .. out, "one", etc.
    Breathe easily and naturally.

5. Continue for 10 to 20 minutes.
    You may open your eyes to check the time, but do not use an alarm.
    When you finish, sit quietly for several minutes,
    at first with your eyes closed and later with your eyes opened.
    Do not stand up for a few minutes.

6. Do not worry about whether you are successful
    in achieving a deep level of relaxation.
    Maintain a passive attitude and permit relaxation to occur at its own pace.
    When distracting thoughts occur,
    try to ignore them by not dwelling upon them
    and return to repeating "one."

With practice, the response should come with little effort.
    Practice the technique once or twice daily,
    but not within two hours after any meal,

since the digestive processes seem to interfere with
    the elicitation of the Relaxation Response.

* It is better to use a soothing, mellifluous sound, preferably with no meaning.
    or association, to avoid stimulation of unnecessary thoughts - a mantra.

tgirl likes this.
  3. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

I have been doing this for over 12 years with no benefit. I have over 50 meditation and relaxation CD's for just about everything you can imagine. As well as having tried hypnotherapy, and working with a psychologist in cognitive behavioral therapy for years. I appreciate your inspiring words! But, the meditation has been no use to me.

4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi mncjl. I'm glad you've found your way here, and that you're working your way through the SEP. It will lead you to try many tools. If one doesn't work, try the next! I'm a big believer in trying a wide variety of things until something clicks for you.
    Blessings on your journey.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi mncjl123,

Like you, I knew myself very well before embarking on Dr. Sarno's work. Although I knew a lot about my emotional and psycho-spiritual life --I had steeped myself in learning for 15 years with some of the best teachers, I did not make progress on my pain until I connected everything I already knew about myself to Dr. Sarno's theories. It sounds like you are in the beginning? of this process. I hope you give yourself time for the "education cure" to work deeply into you. Investigate your doubts, gently inquire into how your moment-to-moment feelings or experiences may be impacting your Inner Child, and find all the evidence you can that you have TMS.

It takes some time for the belief and the evidence to "go deep." When it does, the results will happen. Good luck in your journey.

Andy B

6. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

Thank you Gigi and Andy. I appreciate your support!

I have been in chronic pain for so many decades, and have I have literally tried every western and eastern medicine as well as surgery's, injections, pills, potions, lotions, and multiple alternatives out there. I even went to the extent of a psychic medical intuitive and healer!

I hope that I can heal with knowing and understanding TMS! What a day for a miracle when that will happen!

I welcome any inspiring notes as I take this journey through SEP.