1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS therapy by phone or Skype

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ricka120, Oct 17, 2015.

1. ricka120

ricka120 New Member

Longtime lurker here. I'm dealing with a stubborn 3-year streak of TMS, primarily in the knees. I've tried many things, including the self-help program here and Dr. Schubiner's book, but no go. Sarno's books worked once before, but not this time. So I'm thinking a specialized TMS talk therapist is my next step. But there are none in my area.

My first question is, how have folks here done with phone or Skype therapy? Success or not? Second & third questions: How to find a therapist? And what are the costs involved?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

3. David88

David88 Well known member

I'm currently doing TMS therapy via Skype. It works fine. You can see and hear each other, which is what counts. Much more important than the mode of communication is finding the right therapist for you.

4. ricka120

ricka120 New Member

Thanks for the reply, David. How did you find yours? Any tips?

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

6. ricka120

ricka120 New Member

Thanks, Tom. I'm aware of the list. But there are dozens of names on it. What I'm looking for are some criteria or questions for picking an appropriate therapist. I have no idea of how to go about that.

7. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ricka,

Here are some suggestions about how to select a therapist, beyond doing online research: reading their stuff here, seeing their websites, etc:
    you want someone who has done in-depth work on themselves (with their own teacher or mentor/therapist);
    someone who has worked successfully with their own TMS;
    someone you feel you can connect with --have some sense of rapport, long distance.

You can probably find all this out with a short (free?) interview with a prospective therapist.

Andy B

Forest and David88 like this.
  8. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Ricka,

I opt for Skype whenever possible. There are so many subtleties I pick up that I cannot when on the phone. I have a client in Singapore. As I talked on Skype I noticed his breathing pattern was quite shallow. So I helped him calm himself with deep breathing exercises. Phone can work and you can get a lot out of it but go for Skype when you can.

What Andy says is very true. You want to feel connect to the person who is coaching you back to health.

Take care,

9. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

One question you can ask, Ricka of a prospective therapist: What have you learned about yourself in your own inner work? What insights, expansions, capacities have emerged in you?

10. riv44

riv44 Well known member

Check licensing as well.