1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS Therapists Chicago

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ikreim2, Jul 1, 2014.

1. ikreim2

ikreim2 Peer Supporter

Hi All,

I've been a TMS patient for well over 4 years now. I've been to two different therapists, but would like to know if anyone knows of any TMS therapists in the Chicagoland area. Dr. John Stracks is TMS physician and also my primary care physician, but I don't know if any therapists in the Chicago area specialize in TMS. If anyone may know of one, please let me know!

Thanks,
    ikreim2

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi ikreim2,

This came up among the TMS practitioners and several notable people recommended Dr. Stracks highly as a source of referrals to TMS Therapists. (One even described him as "the Sarno of Chicago.") Dr. Stracks may have therapists that he works with so may be a good source of referrals. It can be hard to assess the skill of a therapist, but if a TMS physician has been referring patients to a therapist for a long time, their patients will provide them with some great information about therapist.

For anyone else reading this, having been around for a while, and as an economist, here's how I look at it. All TMS physicians want their patients to get better faster, not only out of compassion, but also because their patient's success reflects on them. No one wants to say bad things about colleagues, so it might not be clear how people really feel (talk is cheap). However, if you look at who a physician actually refers to, it tells you who they really trust.

This is why I respect the core Sarno psychologists so much. Some of them have collaborated with them for decades. Putting aside their immense experience, the fact that he would refer him patients to them over such a very long time, probably indicates that he has great faith in their abilities. (I'm not saying that you should work with with someone outside of Chicago -- I'm just making a general point that comes up every so often.)

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I hope doctors don't just recommend golf partners. haha

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Heh. I could see that happening more for referrals by doctors to other doctors. But when it comes to MDs and therapists, it seems like they are usually completely different animals. Obviously, there are always exceptions, but it's almost funny to try to imagine many of the TMS therapists I know playing golf with the TMS doctors I know.

5. ikreim2

ikreim2 Peer Supporter

Forest,

Thanks for the response. Dr. Stracks is my primary physician and I've been going to him for almost 5 years now (and you're right, he's definitely the Sarno of Chicago!). He's referred me to my last two therapists. The problem that I find with my last two therapists is they don't incorporate many of the TMS principles to their own form of therapy. I would love for Dr. Stracks to actually be my therapist because he is more familiar with the TMS teachings :). However, beggars can't be choosers and Dr. Stracks is most likely not interested in becoming a therapist :p. At any rate, this topic came up at one of Dr. Stracks drop in sessions. I expressed to him that I feel that my therapist does not incorporate the TMS principles into our therapy sessions. This is difficult for me because there seems to be a disconnect between TMS therapy and how my therapist thinks I should be handling/managing my anxiety. Does that make sense? With that said, I'd like to be more open to finding a therapist who specialized in TMS therapy.

Let me know if you might have some suggestions on how to approach this.

-ikreim2