TMS Taking Advantage of Injury Site

GTfan

Well known member
Need some help again Support Team!

I broke my hand back in August refereeing a football game. I got knocked over an fell on my left hand. Long story short, I'm all good on that front now.

Of course, last week another player ran into me and I instinctively braced them with my left hand. This caused a jarring impact in my wrist that just kept lingering. There wasn't instant pain and swelling like with the fracture, just lingering pain that felt more like a mild sprain in the wrist (completely different area from the fracture).

I took it easy with the hand as much as possible, but now its been 9 days and the pain in the hand/wrist is lingering. There is zero swelling or bruising and the pain is moving around from the wrist to thumb to various fingers. And its basically nerve/tendonitis-like pain that I have had before in the Achilles (100 percent TMS). And to top it all off, when my mind is focused on other things, I've had times where there is zero pain at all in my hand.

For all these reasons, I feel like my brain is taking advantage of a sensitive injury site with a previous injury. And the fact that the tendon pain is moving around from the wrist to the hand and fingers and isn't consistent tells me that this is 90 percent a TMS thing.

Minor wrist sprains should be healed by 7 days, so I just need keep thinking positive. I know I have several factors contributing to my TMS tendencies right now, but any reassurance would help!

I've also noticed that any time my wife needs help with our baby, my hand starts hurting. I think this is my brain's way of giving me an excuse/distraction to try to get out of helping with the baby lol. Kind of funny to see how our brain's work.
 
Sounds highly likely to be TMS! Trust your instincts - only you know how hard the person ran into you and whether that impact correlates with having pain for 9+ days plus (especially if there wasn't instant pain).

I had a similar incident last week where I turned my head sharply in the car - and the left side of my neck got a shooting pain, it was quite bad at the time. I started to think of TMS instantly (hard not to when you do it for a living!), and I thought if I start to freak out here I could turn this into something that it doesn't need to be. I remained calm (whereas in the past I wouldn't have) and basically said to myself "that was a completely safe and normal movement, there's no way you could have injured yourself that badly". I stopped thinking about it, and the next day in the car something triggered the memory of it (maybe I was on the same road) and then I thought "huh, I haven't felt it at all in the last 24 hours" - I checked in on it and it was gone, and has been ever since. Fine margins in the moment can be the difference between a day and weeks/months :)
 
Back
Top