1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS Symptoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by SME61, Aug 4, 2016.

1. SME61

SME61 Peer Supporter

Hi All
    I have been posting to the TMS educational subgroup primarily as I am going through the TMS Educational Program. I am now on day 16.thought I would post a general question here.

Quick summary and then my question.
    Diagnosed positive for L5/S1 severe herniation in Lumbar Spine MRI as well as moderate stenosis in July 2015 after debilitating pain and not being able to walk.

This eventually went away after 2 months of physical therapy and 2 epidural steroid injections. Now after one year still have symptoms pain in leg 1-3 on pain scale along with some hip bursitis pain.

I saw Dr. Gwozdz earlier this week and sat through lecture. I was diagnosed positive for TMS, journaling and self reflection has really opened my eyes to past trauma, inner rage and current stresses.

Upon finishing the lectures with Dr. Gwozdz I felt some relief. Now, over the last 2-3 days I have developed moderate pain in my neck and shoulders. It hurts when I turn my head. I still have some leg pain as well.

What is going on, is this normal?
    Should I go have it checked out by the doctor?
    Now, I am becoming concerned/worried!

Thanks
    Steve

2. Ines

Ines Well known member

It's symptom imperative. It's your brain trying to trick you and move your pain around so you will focus on a new thing. My brain did it from migraines, to wheezing and back pain. Keep doing what you're doing and eventually it will go away.

3. Brant

Brant Peer Supporter

Hi Steve.....I believe also its symptom substitution. I have major lumbar back diagnosis's like you, I even forgot about TMS and how it really helped me years ago and then had surgeries as I completely believed the surgeons, but that didn't help long term. As I was doing SEP the substitute symptoms were wild. I developed a bad eye strain and my tinnitus was louder than ever, once I acknowledged it was TMS on the run I felt some relief. I recognize this will be a lifelong battle but I'm okay with that and am working hard to ensure I can avoid any more surgeries. Good Luck you can do it!

4. SME61

SME61 Peer Supporter

Hi Brant and Ines
    Really helpful to know that this sort of thing is normal. I was hoping the leg pain would go away and I would just have back pain, but now I have some of both. I am just going to keep pushing on and hope that I improve.
    If I focus less on thinking about the pain that seems to help as well. My pain level is only a 1-2 but I want no pain!
    Is this too much to aim/hope for?

Thanks
    Steve

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Never heard of such a low pain level, when people talk of pain it's usually 7-10. Your perfectionism is showing. If you're still worried, go back to Dr. Gwozdz for a TMS booster.

6. TimmyH

TimmyH Peer Supporter

Yeah I had just about got rid of my pelvic pain through tms work when I started getting dry eyes and eye pain. Now I alternate between the two. Nowhere near as bad as they once were. I find if I just ignore it all and keep living my life as though they're not there they fade to the background. I know it's tms, I have proven it to myself many times over, therefore I am slowly learning not to fear it and give it my attention.

Tennis Tom likes this.