1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS surge - stomach pain, moving & love

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by lexylucy, Oct 20, 2015.

1. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

I got food poisoning a couple days ago and it passed but I still have cramping and tiredness. I am in a new city...here for about a month checking it out to see if I want to live here. In Portland, Oregon. I think I do. I think I like it here. I have many friends here and I am dating someone and it is going very well. I guess I am just very very nervous that something is going to go wrong.

I am trying to sense inside and look for the emotions behind the pain.

I guess I feel a little lost. Being in a new city is hard. I'm unfamiliar and I don't have what I need here yet.

Thanks for listening,

LexyLucy

beachgirl likes this.
  2. Mala

Mala Well known member

Hi LexyLucy. Food poisoning can really knock u out. It's not nice & the effects can last especially the cramping & tiredness but it will pass. U just have to ride it out.

I've been to Portland & it's a very beautiful place.

Why don't u look at the month as an adventure & instead of dwelling on what can go wrong just enjoy the time u have there with yr friends.

Sounds exciting!

All the best.

beachgirl likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, LexyLucy. Mala has given you good advice. Try to forget you had food poisoning and enjoy your test of Portland.
    Have some fun with your friends there.
    Don't think that things may go bad. Be positive that they are going to go great.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Lexy, it's a bummer you got sick on this trip! You are obviously stressed out by the possibility of a major life change, so consider the state of your immune system and do whatever it takes to keep it strong, including visualizations and affirmations and whatever placebo works for you, because you don't want to catch the next virus going around. Which it is (I just came across someone today who sounded like she should have stayed home). Forewarned is forearmed, I believe.

Steve O describes a "food poisoning" incident in The Great Pain Deception which occurred during the worst of his TMS symptoms, whereas the people he ate with (his family, I think) remained perfectly healthy. He attributed this to the fact that his immune system was weak due to TMS. It could also be that it wasn't food poisoning from that restaurant meal - seeing as how the majority of virulent stomach disorders are from food-borne viruses which take 24-36 hours to incubate. Nonetheless, I agree with Steve and also with Dr. Gabor Mate that a strong immune system is perfectly capable of fighting off random bacteria and viruses, and in fact that is true for every mass case of bacterial contamination and/or food-borne virus that we hear about - there are plenty of people who do not get sick in spite of exposure.

I mentioned coming across someone today who was all congested - I'm going to go home and double up on my favorite placebo - Vitamin C. Taking a double dose gives my brain an application around which to visualize a stronger immune system - this is how the placebo effect works, and it is a powerful tool which I highly recommend taking advantage of. There's no reason it can't work even when you know exactly what's going on - in fact, I think it's more powerful when you know what you're doing. I've been doing this for years even though "they" tell us that Vitamin C (and echinacea, another favorite) have no effect. I'm pretty sure that any effect they have is due to the power of my belief that I can boost my own immune system, using these supplements to visualize that happening. So far so good. And if I eat anything that I think might be "iffy" I go home to a glass of "medicinal" sherry - LOL. And I might pop some C then as well. Again, so far so good. Knock on wood :D

Researchers already know that placebos work - but there's no money in learning how to make them work for us, so they reject the placebo effect as a negative, when in fact it contains all of the answers.

All you have to do is understand and accept that your brain is in charge of all of your physiological processes, and then accept that you can make it work for you. In other words - you are in charge!

I hope you continue to enjoy Portland (I'm about 3 hours north), give yourself some positive messages and continue to take care of yourself.

mike2014 likes this.
  5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Lexy Lucy, I'm copying a post I made earlier that may be of help to you:

Fear of Success Has it's Own Set of Problems
    Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tennis Tom, Today at 8:32 AM.

Here's a nice quote from a sports psychology book called "LOCKER ROOM POWER" by the recent Wimbledon Champion Andy Murray's coach David Sammel:
    1. "The reason why people are afraid are as numerous as are the types of fear: fear of failure, of success, of parents or peers, organizations, coaches and opponents. In my experience the fear of success is far greater then the fear of failure, because it involves venturing into unknown territory--stepping out of the comfort zone. Competing at a level up from where you are is unnerving until you acclimatize and get used to your new status. It helps if you can actually identify and write down what your personal fears are, which have less power once you see them written down on paper..."

Tennis Tom, Today at 8:32 AMEditReportBookmark
      #1Reply

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    lexylucy likes this.
  6. lexylucy

Thanks you guys!!!

I am doing quite well... had a nice chat today. I am feeling better. Still trying to extricate my emotions from my belly.

I think something happened that was very physical and very real but then my TMS said:
    "hey....that belly and gallbladder pain and fever -----what an impressive distraction - a total break from life---"

I think it hopped on the bandwagon and i've been having strange stomach problems and unlikely sensations here and there ever since.

I did find a place to live in Portland :0) my love relationship is going well I feel excited and splendid..but it IS easy to catastrophize - imagine traumas or bad things happening.
    Right now I am home taking care of my mom who had knee replacement surgery.She is doing very well but I feel badly that she is in pain...

Thanks for your support and love,

Miss Lucy

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. lexylucy

Brene Brown says Joy is the most vulnerable emotion :)

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  8. lexylucy

Brene Brown says Joy is the most vulnerable emotion :)