1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Onasunday, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Onasunday

Onasunday New Member

Hello my name is Michael and I'm relatively new to the forum. I was diagnosed with TMS January of this year. I've had prior herniated disc surgery (never will I let anyone do that again) and was in horrific shape this winter, almost to the point of disability. With the help of some friends who were TMS sufferers, I was able to avoid hospitals, medications, PT, etc. I thought I was on my way to being pain free (with the help of Sarno and Ozanich) combined with the fact I began jogging, push ups and even signed up for a volleyball league this spring. Yesterday and then this morning my TMS has launched an assault on me that put me back in a state of panic and fear. The pain this morning was excruciating and I couldn't even bend to pick up my daughter. My entire leg was throbbing from hip to knee to heel. I took a walk and almost couldn't make it through (thank god for the Rocky soundtrack). I tried my best to be mindful and repeat that the pain is psychological (which I know it is).

I was planning on hitting golf balls for the first time since TMS this weekend and my first volleyball game is Monday. I don't want the pain to frighten me and win. I know others on the forum have had to battle with its ugly return and reluctance to go away from being a distractor. Is there any advice from the group? Should I fight through the pain and go through the activities as planned? Thanks in advance for your help.

puddleglum likes this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Go to the events, you'll probably be well by the time they come around and forgotten about your TMS "sneak attack".

3. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

I agree with Tom. Tell yourself this flareup is just 'extinction burst' and proceed with your recovery. Think of it not as not a setback, but simply part of the process.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. Onasunday

Onasunday New Member

Thanks I appreciate the responses. I played last night through the pain (it was like hot knives cutting down my right leg). I did, however feel really good afterwards which helps to reaffirm the psychological.

MWsunin12 likes this.
  5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

SteveO is a golfer, if you don't have his book, get it! In it he describes his experiences returning to golf.

MWsunin12 likes this.
  6. Onasunday

Onasunday New Member

I've read Steve'sbooks and they're great. I wouldn't even attempt volleyball if I didn't read pain deception.

MWsunin12 and Tennis Tom like this.