1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS: STEVEN RAY OZANICH VIDEO

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Jun 4, 2014.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

TMS: STEVEN RAY OZANICH VIDEO

Steve, author the book The Great Pain Deception, called by many the best book written on TMS and recovery from pain, tells how following the concepts and advice of Dr. John E. Sarno that most pain is psychologically caused and not structural, he healed himself from more than thirty years of various severe and debilitating pains. He explains that repressed emotions cause hidden rage within us that our subconscious mind causes a reduction of oxygen to parts of our body which create physical pain. Medication and surgery may temporarily relieve pain, but they are merely placebos and do not get to the root of our pain, which is psychological.

I had felt severe back pain after lifting a heavy object, and healed about 90 percent after reading Dr. Sarno’s book, Healing Back Pain, and accepting his concept that my pain was not structural but psychological from repressed emotions. I still had about 10 percent of back pain because I thought that since I was 82 years old, at least some of my back pain was caused by the aging process. It was not until I read Steve Ozanich’s book that I healed, by telling my subconscious that I finally believed 100 percent that my back pain was from repressed emotions. I learned what those were through journaling about my boyhood when my parents argued about money problems during the 1930s Great Depression and divorced when I was seven years old. Feelings of abandonment, emotional and financial anxieties and others remained with me into adulthood and finally came to the surface when I lifted that heavy object. It left me in great pain, but now I am thankful for it because it led me to learning about TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome) and Dr. Sarno’s book, and then to Steve Ozanich’s book which stopped my pain.

There are many posts on TMSWiki.org about Steve and his book, a number of them by Steve in reply to people today in pain, to whom he offers healing advice based on his personal experiences related in his book.

2. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Thanks for sharing this video! It's a good summary and reminder of basic TMS concepts.

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

So is the modern family creating more individuals today with separation anxiety? In other words, does the emergence and increase of TMS coincide with the breakdown of the nuclear family and/or some new stresses in the social matrix? I remember that American bomber and fighter pilots when they came back from the European Theater of Operations in 1946 had quite a few cases of back pain. So, has the current generation been exposed to stresses equal to (or worse than) aerial combat? Somebody on the Forum must have some answers or at least educated guesses.

Markus likes this.
  4. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

No, stresses are different today. Can you imagine if you were a fighter pilot with an enemy on your tail, determined to end your life? What about living before there was such things like a police force, and the lawlessness to cope with. Or living before the discovery of germs...There must have been a lot of tension generated in society.
    There has always been conflict amongst people, egos are part of us, there will always be differences to address. That is why TMS knowledge helps us to recognise things such as separation anxiety, and deal with them. Working through issues from childhood and integrating them with how we function as adults is key.
    I also would be interested in what others think.

5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I haven't seen any research about the incidence of TMS past or current to be able to determine if it has increased. But as long as humans have had a divided mind there has been the potential for TMS.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I too love Steve's video. It reminded me that yesterday (Saturday) I had some knee pain.
    I didn't want to do my weekly grocery shopping, but the weather forecast was for heavy snow on Sunday
    so I drove to a Jewel and brought my faithful cane with me, just in case.

I did fine, and at the checkout noticed that the checker, a heavy-set woman about 60, was working
    while standing with a walker. I told her I thought she was very courageous and she smiled and said
    she works so she can keep and feed her dog. I thought that is wonderful. Mindbody over pain, and
    she decided she could do anything she set her mind to.

I wonder what TMS repressed emotions she has. Whatever they are, she is "working through them."

7. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

This is really great, Walt! Thanks for posting it. :)

PS…just thinking about how enraging this would have been to me 20 years ago. LOL