1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS relapse - help! Focus on parts of my body that feel good?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by lexylucy, Aug 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

I woke up this morning with a little bit of pain in my hip. Pain has gone down to 80-90% with few physical limitations. But today it felt more like 60-70%.

I just got a notice from my landlord saying I have to be out because she is selling the house. So out of nowhere I am looking for a new home. I am thinking I will ask my Bo if he would like to move in to a new house together. In the meantime my space has been invaded with realtors, house seekers, photographers, and videographers. I am looking very much forward to find a new home.

I did a meditation this morning where tried to focus on energy moving up my body and I focused my attention a little bit at a time on places on my body that felt good. I am reminding myself that my TMS is wanting me to focus my attention on negative feelings of pain - I immediately get an image of a woman in the woods with a loudspeaker who is making a very loud and harsh/annoying noise. No one can pay attention to all of the animals (feelings?) and all of the beautiful plants (joy?).

Ahhhhhhhh Now the bigger feelings and questions are coming to my mind...

Thanks guys for being there.

LexyLucy

2. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Moving houses is one of the most stressful things. From what you are describing, it seems that your private space, your comfort zone has been invaded, with all those people coming in an out. I would focus on all the emotions that you are feeling and journal.

lexylucy likes this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

lexylucy,

Sorry to hear of your relapse and that you are enduring the stress of moving. What is most helpful for me when I have TMS symptoms is to (1) acknowledge them as created by my mind, and (2) shift my attention away from my body. The purpose of TMS is to get us to focus on our body, so shifting outside that is the antidote. Also, helpful is not to ruminate on the source of your stress, i.e. moving. Make a list of what you need to do to accomplish your goal, and then shift your attention away from it until action is required.

I know that focusing on parts of the body that are pain free is a Somatic Experiencing technique, and that it is helpful for many. However, I find it more helpful to shift my attention away from the body and "my problems".

Best wishes to you....

Boston Redsox and lexylucy like this.
  4. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Thank you Lev and Ellen that is helpful. I feel more calm now.