1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS, pregnancy and fear

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by COgirl05, Jul 8, 2015.

1. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

I have been doing some serious TMS work for several months and have gotten good results. Actually just the other day, I was thinking about writing my success story because I wasn't fearing the pain coming back and I was feeling good. I thought I had finally gotten it!

I'm also 22 weeks pregnant. Since Saturday, I noticed myself start to monitor it again, be a little more fearful, start having anxiety and all the precursors to the pain I usually get. Well last night and this morning, the pain is fairly strong and I'm getting the doubts about me actually ever getting better, whether the pain is actually TMS or pregnancy and whether I'll be pain free ever. I know it's ludicrous, but I'm very fearful and doubtful again. I'm also frustrated that I don't totally know why this is going on. I could really use some words of encouragement!! Thanks in advance.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, COgirl. I hope you get replies soon from some other mothers. Meanwhile, from a lifelong bachelor with absolutely no experience in pregnancy,
    I want to assure you that being fearful or anxious about being an expectant mother is causing you to have TMS symptoms.

TMS practitioners say to live in the present and not in the past or future, but in your case I think it would be great if you think about how wonderful you are going to feel after you give birth to a darling baby. Feed your fetus love and not worry, so it comes into this world happy. One of the most wonderful events in life is soon to happen to you. Embrace it. Enjoy it. Love it.

Lizzy likes this.
  3. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Cogirl,
    When I was expecting I was a TMS "mess". For people who have perfectionist and goodist tendancies, to "build" another human being is a perfect storm. Yes there are structural changes, so that makes sorting out what is happening difficult, but the pressure a mom puts on herself, and the anxiety of waiting to see if all is well is surely a huge contributing factor to symptoms while pg. I think you can "work the work" on pain during pregnancy just as you did before. Think psychological, journal etc.

Good luck!
    Lizzy

4. Jojo61

Jojo61 Peer Supporter

Hi Cogirl, my first child is 4 months. I found out about TMS about 2 monts ago. I've learnt so much about it and myself since then. Looking back on my pregnancy I'm sure some of the aches and pains I felt were actually TMS. Because every now and then I still feel them while my doctor told me they would stop right after giving birth. For me the first month of my daughter's life was incredibly stressful, she cried a lot (!) and I was exhausted. I was really hard on myself for not being the perfect mom. As a result my pain got worse. I was desperate and thankfully finally stumbled upon some tms info online.

Bringing a child into this world puts a lot of stress on you, conciously or unconciously. Your inner child might be raging that it soon has to start taking care of another human being instead of just focussing on herself. Your mind has the perfect excuse for distracting you because he can blame it on the pregnancy... Don't let your mind fool you, it's tricky.

Be kind to yourself and take care of yourself now and once your baby is here. Happy mommy, happy baby.

I wish you all the best in your pregnancy and labor!

Lizzy likes this.
  5. DanielleMRD

DanielleMRD Peer Supporter

I'm so sorry you're going through this. My worst TMS experience came during my pregnancy with my youngest daughter. I was actually medicated for anxiety it got so bad. Unfortunately I had no idea what TMS was at the time. You're in the right place. Keep reading and talking. Try and stay active and busy. One day at a time!