1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS patients have strong minds.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ash86, Sep 9, 2014.

1. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

Hi all, so I was deep in thought today when I realized something truly positive.

For the longest time, once I realized I have TMS, I thought of myself as weak. I thought, how could I have fallen for the Nocebo of fragile backs, dire disc pathology and the restrictions. My family was also not supportive and didn't understand the concept of the mind affecting the body. I got the typical "all in your head." Then the panic attacks made me feel weak as if I couldn't deal with everyday reality.

Then I thought, No, the ability for my mind to cause this severe pain, cause the shortness of breath means it is so powerful. One time during a panic attack, I decided to check my vital signs. My heart rate reached 200 bpm. That is amazing! No physical strain and my mind can make those kind of changes!

TMS patients were simply guided in the wrong direction to those who we thought were "healers". And once we accept what is truly taking place and be guided in the right direction, our strong minds have the ability to make awesome changes occur in our lives and in our bodies.

TMS is truly a gift. :)

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

What a beautiful thought, @ash86! My stepmother is a psychotherapist and she once told me how much respect she had for her clients. Some of them (us - or perhaps I should say, "us," as while I'm not her client, I've definitely been a client of many other therapists!) had been through terrible experiences, and whatever emotional scars we have were indications of everything that we had survived and adapted to. For example - oh, my goodness, if I had a heart rate of 200 bpm during a panic attack, I don't know how I would have coped! I'm sure I would have truly been traumatized. But somehow, you have found a way to make it through these trying experiences. That, to me, is true strength.

North Star likes this.
  3. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

Thank you, Forest for the wonderful response! I can completely understand what your stepmother is saying. And the best part is thanks to Sarno, all the TMS professionals and peer supporters we can turn experiences that were so ugly into strength. :)

North Star and Forest like this.
  4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Remember in HBP the good doctor wrote, "I've heard it said these people get these disorders because they can't cope, but it's quite the opposite, they cope too well." Those words have been very healing through the years. Every time I speak to people I remind them of that.

TMS is truly a blessing for several reasons. But the most important one is that it pushes you to become more than you are, to get where you want to be. It's your inner self nudging you toward happiness, where you won't let the old self go.

But I'll remind anyone who may read this that they're ok mentally. Don't worry that you have some sort of mental disorder, or that there's something wrong with you. You're too controlled in your mental behavior, and you need to lighten up and get silly. When the laughter stops the pain settles in.

These people are very good people, they try to control their entire day through worry, but they need to know that they are sane, good, and doing the best they can do given the circumstance they're in.

I admire everyone I talk to. I can't remember one that I didn't like. They've all been interesting to meet.

Good people of Earth unite!