1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Alex B. TMS or not TMS?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Kez, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Kez

Kez New Member

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi there, I am still trying to work out if I have TMS or not. I really want to 100% believe so that I can get healing. A question has come to mind. Is TMS like blushing? The reason I ask this is because yesterday I had some pain in the morning, I then went with my family out for lunch. I was looking forward to the lunch, I had lovely conversations and my children were happy. When we were finishing off I suddenly realised that I had NO pain the whole time I was sitting there (pain is in my face, tmj pain etc) It started coming back on the way home in the car and was bad again when I got home and started thinking about work today. So the main question is can pain just arrive (like blushing) and disappear again. Thank you again for all your help and advice so far. You guys do a brilliant job. Kez

2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi Kez,

Thanks for the question. The short answer is that yes, TMS pain can indeed arrive "involuntarily" in a similar way to blushing in that is a physical response that can arise from a non-physical (i.e. emotional) cause.

In the context of the incident you are speaking about, it sounds very much that you are experiencing the symptoms that are typical of TMS: you were feeling relaxed, excited and were focused on positive interactions with your children. It sounds like a situation in which you were able to forget the stress and anxiety of being in pain and instead allow yourself to be in the moment. However, your pain returned once you began again to think about. This is very common! Sometimes the very realization that you aren't in pain can trigger a rise in symptoms as you pressure yourself to not "backslide". You being to think and obsess over the pain, fearful of when it may return. As you began to think more about pain and feel it return you also began to worry about the day's responsibilities. This of course compounds the anxiety and stress that can give rise to your symptoms.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Alex's advice to you, Kez, about living in the present is especially topical today because of some new studies
    on the health benefits of mindfulness (living in the present). I'm going to try to post a new thread today summarizing
    what I've found. It will be called HEALTH BENEFITS OF MINDFULNESS.

Wow - Really?! likes this.
  4. Kez

Kez New Member

Thank you so much Walt. I read your book a couple of months ago! Loved it. I also love reading your advise on this Wiki, you come across as a fantastic guy x

5. Kez

Kez New Member

And Thank you to you Alex, your answer has made sense to me. I hope to win this battle one day!

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, it's in the books.