1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS observations and a few questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mc1986, Dec 4, 2014.

1. mc1986

mc1986 Peer Supporter

I have been dealing with a pelvic nerve condition for 6 months. After trying physical interventions that only made me worse I have jumped on board with tms.

My pain has been attributed to an irritated nerve, an entrapped nerve, muscle imbalances, and even the way I walk (I'm slightly pigeon toed).

My main issue with this pain is I can't sit. In the last 2 months I have had 2 days where I could sit for hours. Those are the days I decided I didn't give a ****. I guess my nerve wasn't entrapped on those days (sarcasm). The other thing I have noticed is that on most days I wake up with no pain. This lasts for as long as I can control my brain to not think about anything. Again, my muscle imbalances must have disappeared while I was asleep.

I have reached the conclusion that because I wake up pain free I should be able to live pain free. If I can recreate the state of mind I have upon waking my pain should disappear. An entrapped nerve should cause pain 24/7.

Scott Brady calls tms autonomic overload syndrome. I truly feel my autonomic nervous system is overloaded with fear, anxiety, anger and just stress in general.

My tms doctor recommended going back and "reliving" situations where I should have had emotions and didn't. There are a lot. I'm a firefighter/Emt and have had children and babies die in my arms. I have felt nothing during those events. Defense mechanism I suppose.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions as to how I can "relive" those emotions I would very much appreciate it. I try to put myself in those places and can't seem to reproduce the emotions I should have had. Thanks for any feedback.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm a former Chicago Tribune crime reporter and saw a lot of events that were probably similar to those you experience as a firefighter and in the emergency room. I think I too suppressed them and the repressed emotions gave me TMS back pain.

I journaled about the worst of the experiences, but did not spend a lot of time reliving them. Hardly any time at all. I mainly told my subconscious mind that I knew I had repressed the anger, etc. and now I was facing them. The subconscious does not have to know the details, just be convinced you do finally admit repressing the emotions.

In journalism school, a professor advised future reporters to "assume an attitude of detached studiousness" but not get emotionally involved in the tragedies we reported on. That wasn't easy to do, and often I did take it to heart. When I learned about TMS two years ago, it led me to think back on those tragedies and I guess that was all I needed, because my back aches went away.

Thank you for being in such important work that is helpful to so many.

3. mc1986

mc1986 Peer Supporter

Thanks for you reply Walt. My attitude about things was always that they would have happened whether I was there or not and I was just there to help. That seemed to "help" me stay detached from the situation. So far I have focused on family events for my journaling. I will try to journal about some of these events and admit that I have repressed emotions as you mentioned.

Also I noticed in one of your posts you quoted Joyce Meyer. If you are reading Joyce Meyer I have to assume you are a christain. What part, if any, did your faith play in your healing? We're there any specific principles that helped you? Thanks.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I watch Joyce Meyer on tv quite often and like her wisdom.
    I am a Catholic and my faith played a big part in my TMS healing.
    I had had issues with the Catholic Church about paedidophilia (sp?) and the wars and other things,
    but decided to let God handle them. As one priest told me, "Toss the ball back to Him."