1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS MOVING AROUND

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I got up this morning only to realize that my tms is on the run, I am having pains in the stomach burning all on my left side …first thing I said was I got ya know…

Even though I did start taking my antidepressants, which I feel I need at this time ( self care). I thought I could handle all this emotional stuff and I was for awhile but TMS imperative showed up knocking and hit me with 3 new ailments to deal with.

I have no shame or guilt regarding taking my antidepressants at this time I will stay on them for awhile. Right know I need to low my brain down and not feel this rush of emotions all at once it obvious that tms knows I can handle it and threw this at me also.

Anyway off to work, god bless you all.

Tennis Tom and Markus like this.
  2. Markus

Markus Guest

It's on the run,you got it scared shxtless!
    Keep talking to it,and believe!

3. kevinmichael

kevinmichael Peer Supporter

I just had a severe stomach event. Going to the walk in clinic just made me worse.

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

The symptom imperative

"When a patient makes a major TMS symptom subside by doing"the work", the brain is no longer effectively achieving its goal of distracting attention away from emotions. To counteract this, the brain will attempt to find a new area of focus, with the result that the patient often gets a new symptom - which can become chronic if it is not recognized for what it is.

The patient can have TMS knowledge and even a strong conviction about their main symptom being TMS, but will continue to experience new symptoms if deeper emotional issues are not eventually addressed.

The emergence of new symptoms as old ones subside is called the symptom imperative."

(From the TMS Wiki)

banjoman and Balsa11 like this.
  5. kevinmichael

kevinmichael Peer Supporter

What if I actually did get food poisoning from that Chinese buffet ? It felt like food poisoning multiplied by five ? I understand what symptom imperative means. :eek:

6. Kris

Kris New Member

I can completely relate. I had a relapse after months of no pain and feeling so much peace. This relapse has stuck around way longer than I expected and it's been on the move too. It started in my usual spots- low back and left hip/glute. For no reason, it spread to my right side, where it has never flared up before! And it's a totally different sensation than ever before- nervy pain in my right outer glute, which travels all the way down to my calf. I keep talking to myself and journaling, but I admit I'm getting frustrated. I'm ticked off that this pain is creating so much inconvenience, because I'm currently on a long weekend getaway that is supposed to be fun. It's hard to not give the pain attention.
    How are you doing with giving your symptoms and pain attention? I KNOW we can do this because it's not structural, but I'm sure you're like me, and saying to your brain, "knock it off already!"

Balsa11 likes this.
  7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve Ozanich, in his book The Great Pain Deception, describes a "food poisoning" incident that did not affect the rest of his family who ate the same food at the same restaurant. This took place before he discovered Dr. Sarno and TMS, and I love his analysis when he looked back on it later.

The point is that we can take TMS theory well beyond the pain syndromes that we call TMS. Along with banishing pain and other symptoms, we can also strengthen our immune systems by becoming healthy in our inner emotional lives. In other words, it's up to us to help our immune systems to be as healthy as they can in order to fight off the disease-causing organisms that are constantly bombarding it.

To read more about the physiology behind this, I highly recommend When The Body Says No by Dr. Gabor Mate.

Balsa11 and Tennis Tom like this.
  8. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Honestly better to stay and home, rest and recover. Either way, once it's out of your body, you'll be fine.