1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS/MBS community inconsistencies

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jamejamesjames1, May 9, 2020.

1. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't think it's just the stuff in the basement/unconscious, I believe it's also about all the negative thoughts that you have recognised that you experience on a regular basis (which may or may not be connected to the stuff in the basement). As you know, I can't talk with any authority about TMS as I am not (as yet) recovered but, I also recognise this about myself and I am now dealing with / 'tackling' those thoughts with the determination of a world class rugby player! :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    plum likes this.
  2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Northwood,

Thank you so much for your kind words!! You have no idea how much that means to me and I'm thrilled to be of any help at all to you! It's a real privilege!

With regards to PT there are 2 main problems involving mindset. As BloodMoon rightly points out, the physical therapist and their compassion and professionalism do create a bubble of safety for you so it is powerful in that sense for making your brain feel safe. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but here is where the problem is: 1.) The wrong premise: They are operating from the model that there is something physically or structurally "misaligned" or in need of correcting (fixing). This is an incorrect premise. Your pain is psychogenic in origin and there is nothing to fix. What is required, is a change in mindset (knowing you are healthy and safe) and this will change the neural pathways of the brain...reversing the pain signals. When danger alarms are no longer being activated, pain signals fade out. #2). The diagnosis is incorrect. You can't treat a psychological issue with a physical treatment. The vast majority of people over 50 have disc degeneration and arthritic changes (half of 30 years olds do as well!) BUT there is absolutely no correlation between DD and pain. As BloodMoon noticed, there are many elderly people in their 90's even, running around with all sorts of "abnormalities" who have zero pain. IN FACT they have shown that pain is far less frequently reported in the older age bracket. It's the demographic of 30 to 50 year olds that complain the most.

So, what's the plan? In my opinion you should find other ways to create a feeling of safety that don't involve giving the locus of control to another person (like a PT), but rather, empower yourself. For example: exercising (stretching and moving in ways you enjoy that make you feel good), doing things you enjoy (hobbies, helping others, walks in nature, reading etc). The more you live your life with the belief that you are strong and healthy and in charge, the more confidence you will build up. The more the world will reflect that back to you. When you leave behind the false beliefs, the fear and worry and move towards trust, faith, surrender and gratitude you will find yourself on the journey of reconnecting with life!

BloodMoon likes this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

That is correct. I just had to check my shoes, which shows you how much I don't pay attention to it, BUT Yes... the number eludes me at this second (it might be on my first ever success story) but when I got all checked out I have an inch and some odd, tilt in my pelvis which makes the left leg considerably longer. I used to think it might have been from all of those years pushing a skateboard , But my older son has the same rolling gait I do and also has no pain. People tease us. I don't give a shit.
    I have too many 'anomalies' to list without hijacking a BEAUTIFUL thread. Structural problems don't cause pain... period. The stuff that Miffybunny listed along with TG957 is at the roof of our dilemma. I also agree with the idea that each one of us needs to find a way to take the information and process it into our own lives and mental peculiarities so it is effective for us. That being said, there is one teensy little addition I would throw in, in particularly for men, but I will make it it's own post.

BloodMoon and plum like this.
  4. jamejamesjames1

jamejamesjames1 Peer Supporter

@Northwood

I understand how you feel as well. I am currently dealing with pelvic pain. I had a bad case five years ago that managed to go away by just not thinking about it but it is back. It is so hard to not think physically because it certainly feels like it is the muscles that are hurting.

To amplify that feeling, when I massage / look for trigger points in that area I find them - and while I generally have some sore spots all over the body, these are particular nasty. So it's an easy jump to make.

However, I have done LOTS of stretching and some massage work. The results are.... variable and random. Sometimes it feels good in the moment, sometimes not. Sometimes it feels better a few hours later sometimes worse. I have gained tons of flexibility but have not really gotten the pain points to go away. Yet the pain is on average not much better than it was when this all flared back up again.

Although, on the other hand, trying various TMS techniques such as self talk, mindfulness, journaling, SCREAMING IN THE CAR AND PUNCHING PILLOWS have also had variable and random results.

I'm in the current mode of thinking of... yeah, stress & emotions and whatever else are probably causing these tight muscles, and maybe doing both helps speed things along?

Yet my pains change in intensity so fast it's hard to believe muscle tightness could do it.. I'll go from an 7 to a 2 in a fifteen minute period (I don't actually rate the pain in the moment, but just as an illustration) and I'll have it go from 0 to 6/7 just as fast. I feel like if the muscles were chronically tight it would just slooooowly get better or slooooowly get worse.

Two things that I am sure are holding me back are:
    1) Cannot get over the fear of the symtpoms - and not in the traditional sense where it's "is there something wrong with me" but more of a "this really hurts in the moment and I hate this". A lot of advice is given to get over the fear of the symptoms and it's usually implied that once you think there isn't something physically broken and progressive with you you won't have fear. Yet it isn't often talked about how to be ok in the moment of pain. Even if you told me "hey the pain is only going to last for three hours and then you will be fine the rest of the night" I would still be squirming and unable to relax / think clearly / not stress. It's just so very hard for me to not fret over the pain and be able to successfully divert.
    2) Cannot stop consuming TMS content despite the fact that I can't remember the last time I learned anything new - and when I do learn something new it's a negative thing because it makes me doubt my whole approach (sort of the crux of this entire thread I started). It is if searching our TMS information is a safety behavior because it feels like I am doing something to help. So when I'm having pain it's hard not to read a book, listen to a podcast, watch a video, check these forums. Also because often when I do that the pain gets much better. So some sort of weird reverse-conditioned response. But I don't feel like consuming TMS knowledge forever and ever, I want to just live my life.

5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Sweet Jesus, you’ve reminded me of the days I worked in a city centre bookstore and one of the coolest, sexiest dudes there was a guy with a rolling gait and an exquisite level of sensitivity. Funny isn’t it, what one person sees and teases another for, lights a fire in those with a more rarefied lens of perception. Because really, what the f*** does it matter? I remember reading somewhere that God loves broken furniture.

BloodMoon and Baseball65 like this.
  6. Northwood

Northwood Well known member

A belated you're welcome. Have a little time to read posts. Again, appreciate your insights. Thanks for following up!

7. Northwood

Northwood Well known member

Hi, James,

I can relate to your post here. I, too, feel better as I read TMS literature and follow podcasts, etc. In the back of my mind, I understand that this is a phase I'm in. I started learning about all of this last January. I feel that I'm compassing a landscape. I'm intense and learn by reading and thinking hard about the reading--which, in this case, is pointing my AWAY from thinking too much, so I'm absorbing that counsel and starting to learn to do that and to apply everything I'm learning a day at a time: identify negative thinking, give up the structural problem model, calm down, and--yes--do other things other than read books about CBT, mindbody, and so on. But it's all a part of the path we each have to forge. Good to be clear-eyed and ask a lot of questions. Even better to be kind to oneself.

Wish you well!