1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS in a new Netflix series

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mars497@, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Mars497@

Mars497@ Peer Supporter

Just sharing that in the new Netflix series Surviving Death, season 1 episode 2, there is a patient who IMO is describing TMS and how he has sought out every medical opinion and cannot find a cause. Because of the theme of this series, he seeks out a “healing” medium in a hopeful effort to find relief of his symptoms.
    I am sure there’s plenty of opinions about the show in general but the appearance of TMS was interesting. What resonated with me was how he describes his most significant symptom and that it appears to be gone after this experience. He describes it as this feeling of pressure that had been inside him, a pressure he’s felt in his arms and legs. I guess I know what he means and I’m not sure I’ve heard it described that way.
    Anyway, if you want to watch it yourself, his part of that episode is around the 42 minute mark. His name is Hans and he sees the medium, Libby, with his wife staying for the appointment as well.

BloodMoon, TrustIt and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

I just started watching this last night. It looks like it's going to be a great series. I saw what you were talking about and thought the same thing, TMS!

Cap'n Spanky and Mars497@ like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't have Netflix but I do enjoy seeing mind-body conditions represented in fictional media. Years ago someone started a thread to collect examples :)

Cap'n Spanky and Mars497@ like this.
  4. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

I just began watching it, out of curiosity and is very good so far. I was especially struck by the Neuro-Phycologist seeing clear evidence that our consciousness lives on after clinical death (I'm paraphrasing here).

I wasn't sure if I wanted watch more episodes, since they had some about mediums and that pushes my snake-oil alert. :) But based on the recommendation, I may keep watching.

Another show on Netflix I'd recommend is the Headspace: Guide to Meditation. If you have the time, I think it's well done and the meditations are really good.

Mars497@ likes this.
  5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks to @Duggit (big time!!!), I have recently been on a renewed quest to understand the nature of TMS recovery which is called a placebo effect by some. Not getting into the terminology differences here. My point is on a different angle.

I used to laugh at the stories of miraculous mass healings induced by saints and shamans - until my TMS encounter and subsequent recovery. I do not laugh anymore, I try to read and understand.

I would like to direct people to some of the reading I am doing:

https://www.amazon.com/Cure-Journey-into-Science-Mind/dp/0385348177

https://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Placebo-Making-Matter/dp/1401944590

There is a huge body of work out there explaining the miracles of healing from purely scientific perspective, which finally brings all those things home to me. I know that many people on the forum are comparing and contrasting the orthodox Sarno explanation of TMS to a more modern Moseley-Schubiner neuroscientific explanation, but in reality it all boils down to this: mind matters and is inseparable from the body, look for the cause of your illness in both body and mind, and you will succeed.

6. TrustIt

You mention the "you are the placebo" book. This book is by Joe Dispenza who rebuilt his entire spinal column with his mind. I have been to a number of his workshops in the past and they are remarkable for what they do re the brain. We had brain mapping done at the conference and could see the change in the brain from before and after the meditations and lectures. Fascinating! Our bodies know how to heal themselves if we get out of the way. Getting out of the way of course is easier said than done because our problem/solution machine, the monkey mind, relentlessly wants to know the cause of what it determines is a problem and is always looking at everything but the mind for it. Silly mind!

TG957 and Mars497@ like this.
  7. TrustIt

UPDATE: I had forgotten I posted this comment two years ago. I have since rediscovered the Dr. Joe Dispenza work and am fascinated by all the research that has been done since. Seriously! Go to YT and watch "Stories of Transformation". There are over 700 testimonials about healing from just about everything, including stage 4 cancers, MS, and on and on. It falls right in with Dr. Sarno's work. I can't recommend it enough!

8. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Another book I would recommend is Spontaneous Healing by Dr. Andrew Weil.

9. TrustIt

That is such an old book. Tho it was good in it's time (I remember it well), there is such an amazing amount of research since then. There is a new movie called Source that will be available soon. Not sure where we can see it, but it's well worth watching! Here is the trailer. Will have to watch out for it.

10. JanAtheCPA

Off-topic: anyone else notice the chatbot response above? (the user is being queried)

11. TrustIt

What do you mean? What is chatbox?

12. JanAtheCPA

Hi @TrustIt - that's BOT not box - "bot" is shorthand for robot, and "chatbot" is a generic term for an AI (artificial intelligence) program which is used to create text and supposedly hold conversations.

As you had noted, this thread has been quiet for three years, but it was revived yesterday by a post from a new user - and their post sounds to me like it was written using artificial intelligence. I suspect that the poster is actually a spammer (based on many years of experience monitoring for spam, which is one of my volunteer jobs here), so I am taking the steps to follow up on that. Such posts are often edited later by the spammer to include a hyperlink, for which they receive payment just by getting the link onto a website. Except they don't have much luck here, even with the sneaky "edit later" tactic. Alert members of our community always report obvious spam right away, which is very helpful.

The irony is not lost on me - even though this user is probably not legitimate, the post prompted you to update and revive this interesting topic!
    Update March 14 - yep, they tried to post again, this time with a hyperlink to who-knows-what. Banned and deleted!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  13. TrustIt

oh dear, spammers! They're everywhere....lurking. Chatbot....sorry, typo. Thanks!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  14. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

JanAtheCPA likes this.