1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS, how bad can it hurt?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Kev74, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

Can the pain from TMS be severe? I can accept TMS when it's minor discomfort but it gets harder when it becomes more severe.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Most people who post on the forums here have severe pain and find that TMS is the cause and the healing comes from following
    the 12 Daily Reminders of Dr. John Sarno in Healing Back Pain. We recommend reading the book. Here are the Reminders:

1.The pain is due to TMS,not to a structural abnormality
    2.The direct reason for the pain is mild oxygen deprivation
    3.TMS is a harmless condition caused by my repressed emotions
    4.The principal emotion is my repressed ANGER
    5.TMS exists only to distract my attentions from the emotions
    6.Since my back is basically normal there is nothing to fear
    7.Therefore,physical activity is not dangerous
    8.And I MUST resume all normal physical activity
    9.I will not be concerned or intimidated by the pain
    10.I will shift my attention from pain to the emotional issues
    11.I intend to be in control-NOT my subconscious mind
    12.I must think Psychological at all times,NOT physical.

North Star likes this.
  3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

The more painful it is the more likely that it's TMS, especially if it spikes at odd times or increases rapidly and then eases, etc.

Steve

North Star likes this.
  4. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

Hi Kev24 - I've been bedridden with pain in my lower back/hip/leg since January 31st, and have had bouts of being bedridden on and off for a few months before that. The pain is worse than anything I've ever experienced - it's hard to imagine that "mild oxygen deprivation" can cause this much ruckus. But it can indeed cause the pain level you are experiencing. I'm currently working on my FEAR of the pain. When I have the moments of overcoming the fear, I find I'm able to take baby steps to progress.

I'm almost done with the Steve Ozanich's book, The Great Pain Deception. I would 100000% recommend that you get it immediately and start reading it. If SteveO can overcome the level of pain he experienced for so long, then you and I can surely overcome ours! The book has so many facets and gems to help as you go through your journey. Don't read it without having a highlighter market next to you - you will want to highlight and then go back through the book every day to pick out a facet to help you with whatever you may be facing that day.

And of course the Dr. Sarno books are amazing - probably read one of these first if you haven't read anything yet. I read "Healing Back Pain" first, and am now going through "The Divided Mind."

But hang in there and realize that your brain is only trying to fool you into thinking you have a structural abnormality.

North Star, Ellen and Steve Ozanich like this.
  5. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve, your one sentence brought me great comfort and encouragement. I've been having one of the most painful (and random) flares since yesterday and all through last night.

Kev74….YES, the pain can be severe. It has often woken me out of sound sleep over the years. And like Tgrillyct said, it's hard to imagine a mild oxygen deprivation bringing such a dramatic result.

I can't say enough good about Steve's book too. Order it! (I got mine on my Kindle so I could get my hands on it quickly. ;) )

Good luck!

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is when you really need to accept TMS when it gets harder, but of course after you have ruled out any medical problem. The reason I say this is because you can learn to calm your nervous system down which will hit at the very heart of what is causing you pain or anxiety. Remember the old saying "just calm down now". Well, that saying holds a lot of power in it, so just calm your ANS system down and enjoy.:):)

Thanks

North Star likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I rarely watch tv news but in waiting for the weather forecast I caught an interview in which ABC tv news
    anchor Dan Harris said that a few years ago he had an anxiety attack while on camera in the studio giving the news.
    He said he later learned it was personal emotional problems and said that after spending time and money with
    several therapists he learned how to relax and hasn't had an attack since.

He said he meditates while sitting straight in a chair, closes his eyes, and breathes deeply. If his mind wanders, he brings it back
    to his breathing. He said if we do this even just 5 minutes a day, it will calm us while also helping our immune system
    and lowering high blood pressure.

I've looked at dozens of web sites and read books on meditation, yoga, and other relaxing techniques and
    they ALL say it calls for DEEP BREATHING. Fill your stomach with air like it's a balloon, breathing in through the nose,
    hold the breath for a count of 4 or 6, then let the air out through your mouth while sucking in your gut. The breathing out
    should be longer than the breathing in.

Most of us know this, we need everyone to know it, and we all need to do it, at least once a day and for at least 5 minutes.