1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS Has Moved from Low Back to Hand

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by YYZed, Apr 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. YYZed

YYZed New Member

Just as the title states. It's pretty frustrating. I had severe lower back pain for about 2 years, around October of last year I started playing the bass guitar (played standard guitar for over 10 years with no problems). I strained my hand after about 2 weeks of playing my bass and it never fully healed. Around this time I was accepting my back pain as TMS and while it's not 100% gone, I'd say my pain level dropped at least 80%, I can do most anything I could do before, in fact I'm weight lifting with no issues.

My back got better, my hand got worse peaking in late November with so much pain I couldn't play for even just 5 minutes! I started to accept this as TMS and I followed Sarnos advice and didn't stop playing guitar and the symptoms diminished for a bit but have sense returned. Seeking some advice from folks who have had a similar waxing and waning of symptoms. There is a discernable location for my hand/arm pain, its right below the hand on palm side, just on the wrist, pressing down into this area causes a lot of pain when it flares up nice and good. My back was extremely similar as there was a pinpoint location where the pain was concentrated and the pain radiated outward to my entire lower back with spasms and shooting pain down my legs/butt. My hand/arm is similar, although it radiates from the center of my wrist into my hand and into my forearm.

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

This is the Symptom Imperative. And it's good news although you may not realize it right now.

You're referring to the palpation points, all good signs for TMS. But you're paying too much attention to what your body is doing. What's going on in your life right now? Never think of hand and back, only think of relationships. Who are you currently angry at? (PS: don't forget to look in the mirror too).

Benjiro and alamobecky like this.