1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS Hangovers from drinking wine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sayde, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Sayde

Sayde New Member

My TMS symptoms will vary doing its best to trick me I guess. Sometimes I will experience hangovers for no reason. Even after drinking a small amount of wine. Since it doesn't really make sense, I wondered if this could be TMS? My therapist said she has had a client who did seem to have this as their issue.
    Wondered if anyone else experiences this? Hard to know how to approach this with the typical coping strategies- like authentic indifference.

AnonymousNick likes this.
  2. readytoheal

readytoheal Peer Supporter

Yes! This is my most recent. I feel like tms always tries to take away things I love. First it was coffee with heart palpitations and stomach pain now it’s trying with wine. I just am ignoring at this point. Very annoying.

3. Sayde

Sayde New Member

Thanks for responding.
    By ignoring, do you mean you still have your wine and deal with the hangover? That symptom seems to have left, now its b ack somewhere else

4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, this type of sensitivity can be a result of the mind-body connection/TMS!

I originally came on these forums because I thought I had developed alcoholic neuropathy after a weekend of drinking with friends before my birthday (which I now understand isn’t even possible after two days in a 26 year old). Multiple doctors said that my body was overreacting to alcohol because my sympathetic nervous system was in overdrive from constant emotional stress. The same thing can happen with alcohol hangovers, reactions to caffeine, certain food and chemical sensitivities, etc.

I can now drink alcohol without any issues, but sometimes alcohol will give me a very tiny rash (no bigger than an inch or two) on my arm or leg when I’m very stressed. I ignore it and it simply goes away.

Assuming nothing has changed in your life (such as taking a new medication that interacts poorly with alcohol, starting a keto or other low-carb diet, etc.), your body is very likely more sensitive and susceptible to hangovers because it is stressed out.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  5. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Well known member

Alcohol lowers your level of consciousness. Your awareness is almost that of a vegetable if you get drunk enough. Moderation is probably just fine for most trying to heal. Personally even 2 beers I could tell it was lowering my mood the next day. Probably bc it was 2 beers many consecutive days.

Anything, and I do mean anything, that has a pull on you like an addiction is holding you back. I wish I had committed to quitting alcohol BEFORE starting the TMS journey, bc it held me back. A more extreme case as many would consider my actions that of an alcoholic. I don’t label it. I stopped drinking. quit caffeine for months and only use it before a workout or something like that. It was addictive.

These are my observations and opinions. Not necessarily claiming anyone else is like this, but you do need to be honest with yourself.

6. Idearealist

Idearealist Peer Supporter

I'm soooo addicted to caffeine. I am keeping it limited to a cup of coffee and a few squares of chocolate a day, but good lord, if I don't have it, I'm not functional... at all. It's crazy how sensitized the nervous system can become with TMS.

7. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

When my nervous system was responding to emotional stress, eventually even coffee, vaping (including non-nicotine juice), medical cannabis, etc. triggered responses. Chemical responses caused by TMS/the mind-body connection were so powerful!