1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS - hair loss

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Anna1, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

OK, I've noticed that with every TMS symptom that I've opened a thread about here, the symptom has disappeared or lessened. So, it's time I adress this one:

My physical pain has mostly disappeared. It's amazing. Ankles, hips, back, neck, shoulders, lower back. Even my left knee that has been bothering me for 16 years is starting to get the message!!! I have tons of energy, sleep better and I need less sleep. I run 2-4 times a week and take 2-3 yoga classes. I feel renewed...

My hair loss started after hormonal changes. So I was really in doubt about weather it was TMS or not. It became better recently, as I expected. But now that my knee pain has started to (finally) disappear - the last bit of pain I had - the hair loss is getting worse. I have 1/4 left of the hair that I had. I had long beautiful hair. It was never very thick, but it was a lot of hair. And now that I have so little left, it is still (or again) falling out. The fact that it's getting worse now that I expected that the hormonal fluctuations should be balanced out again - and now that my knee is getting really better - I am convinced it's TMS.

It feels like my subconscious is making a convulsion... It's trying to hold on to the effect of panic that the pain used to have - and that the hair loss definitely has.

All this is happening while I'm having one of the most relaxing holidays ever... Maybe I should write about what emotional stuff is going on. It's not huge, but there is always something, of course...

2. Lori

Lori Well known member

YES! Agree this is a good starting point!

I personally have been writing some "feelings letters" to people--not to be mailed--but to say what I'd like to them! And then I come to terms with their being who they are, and feeling free of any negative-feelings connection to them now.

Anna1 and Gigalos like this.
  3. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh I hope the hair loss is TMS! There are so many fibromyalgia symptoms I've had over the years that Drs always say its fibro, even when it has been other things. Hair loss is one of them, unfairly - hair growth - in all the wrong places! is another...
    I have been trying to think literally about symptoms - so - tearing my hair out - why would I do this? Losing hair - our crowning glory, a bit like cutting off our nose to spite our face? My sister (mid 30s) in a relationship crisis, grew a single long grey hair - overnight! That's stress for you...

Anna1 likes this.
  4. cirrusnarea

cirrusnarea Well known member

I'm interested in whether or not the increasing symptoms of alopecia are not TMS related. It is said to be an autoimmune disorder, but I have to wonder how much research has been done in this realm to say for sure what brings it on.

Anna1 likes this.
  5. frankyjannie

frankyjannie New Member

Generally, The person who was unhealthy under some kind of diseases or he may feel more tension, These are to be considered one of the reasons for hair fall. We didn't exactly say, It will be happening to every unhealthy person. It may depend on various reasons.

6. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Are you on any medications ? Lyrica caused me to lose a lot of my hair, which only started to grow back after I had been off it months.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I have had no hair loss problems except normal from aging,
    but can't help thinking hair loss is another symptom of TMS from
    repressed emotions or our personality.

My father was prematurely grey haired when he was in his early thirties.
    I think it came from worrying about money, which is a classic cause of TMS.

Try journaling and thinking about what may worry you and that may
    be causing your hair loss. The more you worry about losing more hair,
    the worse it may get. Try not to worry about it. Easier said than done, I know.

Anna1 likes this.
  8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

CGP and Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) like this.
  9. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Moderator's note: There were two spam messages in this thread that have been removed.

One spam message was posted on October 8, 2014, and Tennis Tom is responding to it in the post above. Another was posted on November 19, 2014 and Tennis Tom responded to that one as well, in a post below.

Sorry for the interruption. I'm making this post so that readers of this thread understand what Tom is replying to, as the spam posts themselves are gone. We do not tolerate spam in this community.

Thank you, Tom, for your reports and for your keen eye!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Those are good web sites for hair loss.
    If you're a man, bald is in these days.
    If you're a woman, I guess you can google for suggestions, but don't spend all your money on hair loss cures.
    I doubt there is even one good one. Better to do some journaling to see if a repressed emotion(s) is causing it.

11. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

THIS IS SPAM! STRESS AND ANXIETY ARE TMS! It's posts like this that makes one want to pull their hair out causing hair loss due to annoyance. Consult a good TMS doctor or read one of Dr. Sarno's books, much cheaper and less invasive then flying off to India.

12. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

My sister went to India and lost her hair. I would say it was from a stress, she went to see a Guru, ate mostly rice and cooked veggies, believes she got a parasite. Got through her issues with the Guru. I think she processed a lot of emotions. Came home and in a matter of months her hair came back. I have a friend who cuts her hair really short when she goes on hot holidays. Female monks also shave their heads. It's not all bad, stick in their, get through whatever you're going through with TMS knowledge you don't have to go anywhere.

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'm glad your sister's hair came back. I guess there is a down side to traveling to any foreign country,
    although I traveled through most of Europe years ago and never even had a cold.
    I didn't know that female monks shaved their heads.

We all need to "stick in there." TMS can show up in many ways, but we have the techniques to heal.

14. AndyG.

AndyG. New Member

I've been dealing with alopecia areata and had a treatment that worked for me (consisted of a cryogenic treatment and Dermoval Gel) and my hair came back rather quickly. Unfortunately, once my hair came back, that's when I started to have back pain. After treating the back pain, my hair loss came back. It's a vicious cycle, that's for sure.

There isn't much information out there on alopecia. I went to 3-4 doctors before I found one with a treatment. The rest just told me it was stress or an auto-immune disorder. I'm convinced now that it's another form of TMS, so hopefully with the TMS treatment techniques this will work. I'll be sure to post back with my results.

hecate105 and Anna1 like this.
  15. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Andy. I agree with you that the hair loss and pain coming or going is all TMS.
    Emotional stress finds its own way to get at us, like water flowing downhill doing its natural thing.
    Keep thinking TMS and positive.

hecate105 and Anna1 like this.
  16. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

I can't believe i saw this post today. I have had reduction in pain symptoms. Been working on it since Jan of this year. But guess what since last 10 days I am having extreme hair fall. to an extent where its insane. Like a handful of hair is coming out every time i touch my hair. I am less than half the hair left and can see bald spots in the front. of course its scaring me since I have had long beautiful hair and always been complemented for my beauty...lol
    So what should I do ?

17. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Dear shmps,
    Based on what I read above, I would try to treat it like TMS! This must be scary and disturbing for you. Hair loss has long been associated with stress in the popular culture. Maybe you have the key in your hand right here!! Neat to see what Peggy said about her sister, that her hair grew back.
    Andy B.

Anna1 likes this.
  18. AndyG.

AndyG. New Member

If you're losing it that quickly, it's most likely due to some emotional shock. I would treat it like TMS. Trust me, you'll waste a lot of money on products that don't work otherwise. I got a nice hat for when mine came out.

Tennis Tom and Anna1 like this.
  19. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

You so right Andy B and Andy G. I am losing hair so fast that by the time i get to the dr I will be bald lol...so why worry. And another thing. I am totally bloated and have gas all the time, something never happened to me for the last 10 years since I work out almost daily except for since last sep till this april. Last sep i stopped working out due to TMS pain symptoms. This april i started going back to the gym and again working out as heavy as I did before I even had any pain symptoms. So i am successful in getting over the fear of pain and resuming workout. But now I have extreme bloating which I only had whenever i didn't work out. Now that i am working out regularly i should not have bloating but its vice versa, Ofcourse TMS is scaring me. The hair loss and gas is all TMS trying to keep me occupied still because i m so occupied in living my life that I even forget to common this forum anymore, not that I don't like being here but this was not part of my normal life before i had TMS. :)

20. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

People, I haven't seen the reactions until today, sorry! Andy and shmps, I am POSITIVE it's TMS. The thing is, shmps, the TMS gets you there where you won't stop worrying. I have always been complimented on my hair (and my appearance in general and very needy for compliments because of insecurity and lots of struggle with weight etc) and I was SO shocked and really traumatized by the hair loss. At some point I had only a tenth of what I used to have, but my hair kept growing back, so as usual, just with all my former pain symptoms, the doctors said there was nothing medically wrong (which has been my frustration before, but ultimately is what safed me from medications and surgery and made it easier to accept that everything has always been TMS). Anyway, at some point, after being tired of using my flip in (hair extension thing) I saw no other option but to cut my hair short. Much to my surprise, it was so very very liberating. Everyone LOVED it. It looked really good on me...And now that I was willing to accept that I had to keep it short, my hair has stopped falling out. So I am growing it again now. With the knowledge that I don't really mind if I have to cut it again in case it starts falling out again.

So interesting... the moment you don't care anymore that is what happens. I never managed to see die-hard as TMS. I hope you will manage to do that and beat it!!!

shmps likes this.