1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS from working out/the idea of working out

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by saturn_nights, Feb 14, 2021.

1. saturn_nights

saturn_nights New Member

Hi everyone. I wanted to ask if anyone here can understand why I'd get mild TMS symptoms from working out. Could they be caused by a small part of me believing this is relieving my chronic pain? Despite the fact I have overcome said pain using TMS techniques?

I've been regularly working out since I started seeing a personal trainer early into my case of chronic pain (RSI), back when I still believed the problem was physical. This was in mid-late 2019. Long story short I discovered TMS in early 2020 and over the course of the year, I felt less need to be paying for my personal trainer as I treated my RSI using TMS. I stopped working with the PT near the end of 2020.

To this day, I've been doing many of the same workouts/exercises that I was with my personal trainer. Some of my TMS symptoms tend to flare-up when doing exercises like push-ups, especially a rash on my hands. This rash mainly occurs on my middle finger (right hand) and the space between my other fingers. It does not occur when I am finding my own exercise to do, such as bush walks, cycling and swimming.

In addition I'm hesitant to stop doing exercise altogether because of other benefits I've found, such as body image, self-confidence and an overall better mood. Thank you to anyone who reads this.

Balsa11 likes this.
  2. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

I'm having itchy fingers and I haven't really worked out in a while. I think it's just the dry air and while the TMS part is don't scratch the itch, it's nice to have lotion when you need it.

Mine often flares after washing my hands haha

Try doing push ups against a wall and do more on the floor. It shouldn't be connected.

saturn_nights likes this.
  3. saturn_nights

saturn_nights New Member

Mine sometimes flare up during hand washing too. My GP pointed out the connection between the two when I originally saw her about this.
    Also I'm curious. When else do your fingers get itchy? Because it's insightful to hear about the experiences of someone else with the same symptoms.

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Your about to get a windfall of CASH!

You might actually unconsciously resent this:
    I know I did and it was a strong compulsion to work out, even when I didn't want to. THAT is TMS fodder...finding out the reasons behind our actions.

5. Balsa11

It gets itchy randomly at night, sometimes also redder, with hot water. Cold water reduces redness from hot water. It gets better and less dry when I don't pay attention to it, though it feels drier after washing my hands and if I moisturize it too frequently in a short amount of time (preoccupation or overcompensation from moisture?). It's funny, sometimes it's random spots on my palm or on the sides of my hand (where the skin changes from palm to hand). Because of my new thin skin, it heals slower too so I just have to ignore it for as long as possible until it can fully heal.

6. Balsa11

Wish I felt motivated to workout for a little bit instead of feeling an aversion to working out

7. saturn_nights

saturn_nights New Member

When you put it that way, it's definitely plausible that the brain can learn to resent body image. I remember feeling shame at times when getting picked on at school and believing my body type had to do with it.

Ah, we have a few symptoms in common. Mine started out as a larger rash that mostly cleared up with a cetomacrogol cream. The rest of the rash seems unaffected by it.
    It can be easy to focus on the skin when it gets really itchy. So it's nice to hear you've had improved results from focusing on something else. I find that thinking about the psychological reasons behind my itchiness often helps it settle down.

Balsa11 likes this.
  8. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Well known member

It wouldn’t be the physical act of working out. Your human body isn’t any different than everybody else. Not significantly.

it’s the thoughts and attitude around it. If you pressure yourself to workout, it’s bad for you. If you feel it’s needed due to societal pressure, bad. If you feel bad about yourself when you miss a workout, bad. Has nothing to do with the act.

At just 15 yrs old I was very serious about weightlifting. When I hit a wall w it, the stress poured on. The TMS was an appetite that literally could not be satiated. Eating more made me fat. No increase in lifts. Quit working out and all goes back to normal in a few days. Rinse repeat for almost 20 years. Finally, I could see what was going on. Problem gone. Went on to achieve and beat some very old goals. Now it’s just a way to stay healthy.

Heavenly, backhand and saturn_nights like this.
  9. saturn_nights

saturn_nights New Member

Agreed. It definitely isn't the physical side of working out, but the psychological side. I've been exploring my mind more these past few days and realized a big part of my attitude came from an endless pursuit to have the ideal body.
    That's great how you were able to see the causes of your own cycle. Working out undoubtedly has wonderful benefits if you are doing it for the reasons you truly think are best.

10. Heavenly

Heavenly Peer Supporter

Hi @Tms_joe
    How long did you stop working out? When you say rinse repeat, do you mean you stopped then went back? And when you say that you could see what was going on, what problem was it? I think I have an idea but if you could clarify, I would appreciate it. It was pressure about hitting your goals, I assume.

Thanks!