1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS fighting me again

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Mermaid, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

I'm really in need of your support here gang. I've had my up and downs with TMS, good spells and bad spells, but everytime I feel I've made a feel breakthrough it seems to fight me back extra hard. I had a terrible crushing headache for 48hrs, then it melted away in ten minutes when I gave it a real stern talking to then meditated. I just gone almost 24hrs with no pain at all anywhere, which is rare and wonderful for me.

Today I've journaled, meditated, done positive affirmations, laughed and just gotten on with my work. Then WHAM out of the clear blue sky I get an occular migraine, the aura stage before the headache. They usually send me into a panic, but I've done some breathing excerise some free writing to let of steam and given it a severe talking to, told it not to bother, I know what the game is etc., but the headache's started anyway. I am so upset about this, everytime I make some real progress this happens. It's normally just before my period too, I'm perimenopausal and I don't think that helps me either. I sick to death of this monster.
    Please excuse and typing errors or wrong words I'm stupid when I'm in a migraine.

Can anyone offer me a lifeline by telling me ways to overcome TMS resisting so hard, I feel desperate just now. :(bangheada

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Mermaid. When you have a headache, besides deep breathing and the other techniques you've used,
    try a gentle massage of your forehead, temples, and top of your head. Tell yourself it's calming you and
    making the headache go away.

Also try "tapping." There are posts about it on the forum, and online, but I'll tell you how I do it.

When and where do you tap and with what do you tap?

1. Think of a pain or repressed emotion such as a bad childhood memory or financial worries, something that causes anxiety, anger, fear, or any other negative feeling. Imagine that feeling on a scale of from one to ten, the higher the better.

2. Begin tapping over your eye five to seven times with your index finger and the finger next to it while saying out loud (not silently) some positive affirmations such as “Even though I feel this pain, I deeply and completely accept myself. I release and let it go. It’s okay to let it go. All sadness, fears, all emotional trauma, stress, anxiety.”

3. Tap at the side of the eye, and repeat step 2.

4. Tap below the eye, and repeat step 2.

5. Tap on the collar bone (where a necklace is worn) and repeat step 2.

6. Squeeze a wrist, then repeat step 2.

7. Take a deep breath through the nose, hold it a few seconds, then let it out through the mouth, and say “Peace.”

Also, imagine a dying tree and you’re pulling it out by the roots. The tree represents the bad emotion in you and when you pull up its roots the tree dies and so does the bad emotion -- it goes away.

Tapping tells the unconscious mind you are ridding yourself of the pain or bad emotion.

3. Mermaid

Hi Walt,

Thanks for answering me, I was really upset and just needed to connect with someone who understands. I've been using EFT (tapping) for a while now, whilst it seems to reduce anxiety I don't usually have any success with pain, please keep the suggestions coming I'm always grateful and will explore anything. Did your TMS ever flare up worse after a very good spell? I feel like it's somehow fighting to keep control of me, but we both know it's days are numbered ! I feel a little better now, I seemed to be able to resist it getting a hold of me by trying not to be so fearful, I think it worked (a bit).

Much love & thanks

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I think you're right that tapping works better to reduce anxiety than pain.
    But keep trying it for pain.

For anxiety I also like massaging the "valley point" between the thumb and index finger on each hand.

It's an old acupressure yoga technique for reducing tension in the head.

5. Mermaid

Thanks Walt I'll try that. I'm usually in bed for 3 days when I get a migraine, that's why I panic so much when I get the aura, it's not the pain it's the disruption to my life.

Thanks again you're a gentleman !

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

That's awful to be in bed with a migraine.

I also think a gentle head massage helps. Temples, forehead, top of the head.

7. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Hi Mermaid, Gosh - I don't really have any suggestions but am sending you a virtual hug and a "hang in there" wave. TMS is a persistent little bugger and it sounds like you are already very aware and doing all the things you know to do. When I have my flare-ups I fall back on the facts that some things causing our TMS resides in the subconscious and we can't feel them because of that. So I tell my body that its okay- I understand what its doing. I don't need it to proceed with physical pain to heal but then really try to sink into acceptance of what is and not future trip beyond the moment. AND I realize that this is easier said than done when you're in a lot of pain!!!

8. Mermaid

Thanks for your comforting words, it helps just to know that someone out there understands.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Mermaid. Hugs from me, too.

10. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi Mermaid, I too am experiencing awful symptoms tonight. I will follow all instructions
    from Walt and Nowtimecouch. Please just hang in there, it will all be much better very
    soon. We are very sensitive humans, more than the ordinary, we are so strong. hugs to
    you, Nancy

11. Mermaid

Hi Nancy

The worst of it has passed thankfully, I hope you soon feel better soon too. I know what you mean about being sensitive, perhaps we have too much empathy and don't put ourselves first when we really ought to.

Much love blessing & big hugs

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, girls.
    Sorry you have more TMS pain. It does come on us sometimes.
    I got worried on Friday morning when Annie fell. She was in a hurry to go out the front door to take a walk
    with a neighbor and his two smaller dogs. They all love each other and walk together fine.

But Annie slipped on the bare wood floor at the door and fell on her side. I've noticed she's fallen a few times lately
    and also sometimes has trouble jumping onto the couch where she loves to look out the front window or nap or sleep.

The neighbor saw that Annie was twitching a little and said "Maybe she's had a stroke."

That really sent fear into me. I said we'd forget the walk this morning and I'd take her to the vet who has
    treated her since she was a puppy 12 years ago. Another friend drove me to the animal hospital in Evanston
    about 20 minutes away.

Wouldn't you know the friend went a block farther on our way there and was backing up when he hit the
    front end of a car behind us. That motorist called police and we waited half an hour for the police to decide
    what to do, just giving my friend a warning but not a ticket. The other motorist had so little damage to his car
    he said to forget it. We were about 20 minutes late for the vet appointment but Annie got a checkup and
    the vet said her heart was fine and that she is falling now and then because of a lump on one side of her body
    that is not cancerous but makes her favor one hind leg. When she walks on hard wood floors she may slip,
    so I've put carpeting or runners everywhere she walks and she's doing fine, even climbing onto the couch more.

The vet said Annie falling is just part of normal aging, like Dr. Sarno says about our backs.

But her fall stressed me. Then the neighbor catastrophizing about a stroke. Then the car accident.

Amazing thing was, I applied TMS calming techniques while all this was happening and felt no pain or
    over-anxiety. I did deep breathing, positive thinking everything was going to be okay, and some valley point
    massages between my thumb and index finger. I was fine.

So I was put to the test... three or four tests in one morning... and came through fine. So did Annie.

I doubt I could have handled all this as well if I had not known about TMS.

Annie is fine and so am I.

Hope you all are today.

13. Mermaid

Hi Walt

Well done ! You're an inspiration tiphata