1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS during a pandemic

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by klawley, May 18, 2020.

1. klawley

klawley New Member

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone noticed a TMS flare after the COVID 19 pandemic started? I was able to deal with back pain 3 years ago after learning about TMS, it literally changed my life. Since then I have been able to apply to pain that did not have an acute /injury related to it. But about 3 weeks ago I started to have ankle pain which is not heelpain. I am not sure if this is just a flare of TMS due to all the uncertainty and stress living in a pandemic (I should also mention I am an RN so I feel like COVID is all I think about and I have been exposed multiple time’s and many of my nurse friends have caught it). Or could this be planter fasciitis because I have been running everyday day as the gyms are closed- where as I would usually switch up my cardio routines. Or could it be a combination of both?
    Sorry for the long post and thank you. Stay safe everyone :)

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi klawley,

I think you're onto something considering the new symptom to be TMS. As you probably know, symptoms will attach to "reasons." So the second reason you list, the change in exercise routine, would be a good excuse to pin the pain on, making it more "believable."

The Covid experience is deeply stressful for almost everyone, even subconsciously. Let alone where you find yourself in the midst of it!!

Can you just treat this as TMS, and inquire into those emotions which "don't want to be felt" which might be right below the surface? And/or inquire what it is like to feel the Tension of treating people for work and your moral compass, while also probably feeling fear of this same activity? It seems like an easy way to generate conflict and tension... and a sense of 'no way out.'

Andy

3. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

I think the pandemic is a great excuse for TMS to flare up. As soon as my state started it's shutdown order, I felt on and off cold symptoms for about a week. After that, I started having very mild wheezing/shortness of breath here and there. It was all mild and too inconsistent to be anything real, but a little annoying nonetheless. And that is despite the fact that my pandemic experience has not really been stressful, and my family and I are not in any at risk groups.

Of course your feet could be slightly strained. But unless you had some bad "ouch" moment while running, the worst case scenario for your plantar fasciitis should be soreness that just requires a few days break from running.

I hope you are able to stay safe at work...Thank you for all that you do!

4. jt99

jt99 New Member

Given your description and history, I think the likely culprit is TMS. As I think is often the case, though, it may have started with a bit of pain that was initially a bodily response to your change in routine. But there's little reason to presume that your shift from inside to outside caused a lasting structural problem that accounts for the pain. Much more likely is that the initial heel pain kept on going (after your body adjusted to the change in routine) as an outlet for your very justified stress/fear/uncertainty around COVID-19. Try telling your brain that you appreciate the message, but that you've got this—you know how to minimize covid risks and are taking all precautions. I think the more you're able to set the pain aside, and the more you're able to presume it will get better shortly, the more likely it will go away.

5. klawley

klawley New Member

Thank you so much Andy, I really appreciate you comment. I agree, it really is hard to see the end it sight... which I think makes this more stubborn. Take care and stay safe

6. klawley

klawley New Member

thank you for the good ideas! take care

7. klawley

klawley New Member

thank you so much and thank you for the kind words. Stay safe :)