1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

tms doctors

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by interstellar, Mar 21, 2015.

1. interstellar

interstellar Peer Supporter

Hey all. I have been considering seeing a tms doctor for a while now. I live in maine so there aren't any close by for me to go to. I have heard great things about dr. Paul Gwodz but he's all the way in new jersey. I was actually considering taking a trip to Florida and I'm wondering if anybody has had success with a tms doc there? Or if anybody has any other suggestions for awesome tms doctors on the east coast?

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Have you seen a regular Dr? and have been cleared of all medical issues that is causing your discomforts ?

3. interstellar

I have been cleared for my back but not my hip yet. But given that my symptoms have improved so much and that I'm able to play basketball and run and workout with only slight discomfort and don't get any worse I can only assume there's nothing structurally wrong. But I can't get rid of the final 25% of my pain which leaves the "what if" there is something wrong in the back of my mind. I do plan on getting an mri for my hip before I see a tms doc but I need to find a good one.

4. Boston Redsox

Keeping pushing threw with common sense, and this pain will diminish in time

5. ben2323

ben2323 Newcomer

can u share with me what u heard about dr. Paul Gwodz ?

6. interstellar

I actually heard great things about dr. Gwodz while listening to a webinar by Steve ozanich here on the tmswiki. So I called him just to see what he was all about and he couldn't have been a nicer guy. He took the time to answer a few of my questions, gave me some helpful advice and told me he would gladly help me if I could save up the money to see him. Seems like a really good guy and I'm going to try to see him in the future if need be. But I'm still wondering if anybody knows of a good tms doc somewhere in new England or closer to maine, or even in Florida since I might be taking a trip there

7. ben2323

ben2323 Newcomer

8. ben2323

ben2323 Newcomer

how can listen to that webinar by Steve ozanich ?

9. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

10. interstellar

Yeah I've found that list before. But I know that some tms docs are far better than others. Hoping somebody has had a great experience with one in new England and could share. Thanks though!

11. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

See Dr. Schubiner or Dr. Gwozdz.

12. Helenback

Helenback New Member

Hello,
    I am also interested in seeing a TMS Dr. I have been exploring this Tx since January 2015 and have seen some positive shifts. But I seem to be stumbling about and could use the expert guidance of a professional. Perhaps a road trip is in order. I have looked into Dr.Gwozdz practice and I'm thinking of making the call. I have seen the TMS Dr directory and have found a Dr Herzog in Scarbourgh.. But he doesnt reference TMS in his profile. Like you, I want the best. I have been in pain for approx 5 yrs. Not crippling, still manage to work but it's draining.I live in Brunswick, Maine.. What's your story?
    Here's to being healthy in 2015,,,,Jenn

13. Boston Redsox

Sounds like a therapist would be a better choice…as your md cleared you then its tms and there are some emotional factor you need to dig out that you can do.

14. Boston Redsox

Dr Sopher

He in Essex nh heard good things

15. Helenback

Helenback New Member

Hello Boston Redsox, Thank You for your comment. I have been seeing a pain psychotherapist (mindbody- but not exactly Sarno's work) since Nov. 2014. I have had a lot of unrelenting stress during the last 5 years. It's been slow going, but I have seen increased improvements since picking up Dr Sarno's book. For me, it's been a slow process w. Some setbacks ( returning pain with some anxiety as well) sometimes I feel like I have slipped back to where I have started.
    Any advice would be helpful. Thx

16. interstellar

Hello helenback. I actually live in Bangor maine. And yes I've heard of herzog too. Unfortunately I called his office and he no longer practices with tms anymore. I have also heard Dr sopher is good but I've heard even better things about dr gwodz. I also spoke with dr. Gwodz for ten minutes or so and he's an extremely nice guy and was very helpful considering I was just briefly explaining my situation over the phone. I am like you in that I have explored every emotion I can possibly think of, I have journaled over and over, I have cried, I have mended some relationships, I have tried unsuccessfully to mend other relationships. From the sounds of it I have made a lot more progress than you have so far given that roughly 75% of my pain is gone, but for me, I think it would help me rid myself of the rest of the pain if I could sit down with a good tms doc and have them tell me to my face that all my pain is tms related and what I need to do to get rid of the rest of it. I may take a trip to see Dr gwodz this summer if I haven't fully healed by then. Keep up the work and you'll continue to see positive results. You cannot allow yourself to be scared of your pain anymore. You also have to do your best to not let your pain distract you, and to do things that make you happy. Be kind to yourself.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  17. Boston Redsox

They are only going to tell you what you already know to be true….and you might need that I went to one also, just to acknowledge what my MD already told me. Do the sep read a couple of books journal, meditate, laugh and most importantly don't fight the pain let it in…its talking to all of us.

18. interstellar

I keep telling myself that they will tell me something I already know. To me there can't be any other reason that I've made as much progress as I have. But I have two places where I have pain...my low to mid back which I've had an mri on and my doctor couldn't find anything wrong except a herniated disc which I know to be no big deal...on the other hand I have a deep pain near what I assume to be where the top of my femur connects to my hip. I can run and jump and play basketball but when I lift my leg straight up in front of me or inward toward myself like when putting a sock on, I have a deep pain and when I put my leg back down that area has a deep pop. I haven't had an mri on this area yet because for one I've tried telling myself it's nothing to see if it will go away, and two because I'm still paying off my last mri. Also I know that doctors will look for any reason they can to tell you why you have pain, so if something minor pops up on the mri, I don't want them telling me that I have something wrong. I'd much rather have a tms doc look at it and tell me that there is nothing wrong...if you can't tell I overanalyze everything haha

19. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I've heard good things about Dr. Gwozdz too, I think SteveO recommends him highly also. Getting an all clear from a TMS doctor is a great boost. When I get a check-up and am told that my health is good, I leave the office feeling great! Physicians and other white-coats in our society hold extra powers of believability, they are our modern day shamans.

G'luck,
    tt

20. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Does anyone know the approximate cost to see Dr. Gwozdz?