1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS Doctor Question/Opinion Needed

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Susan1111, Jan 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Hi I have a question/opinion regarding seeing a TMS Doctor for a second time. I saw Dr Rauchbaum the middle of Nov he confirmed a TMS diagnosis. Prior to leaving his office I made another appointment for two months later. The reason being I wanted to have the appointment (not easy to get) just in case but at the same time give myself time to understand and work with his diagnosis.

For the first month I continued my Pilates Practice, started therapy not for TMS but for unresolved sister issues...and thought okay the pain will go away. By Dec pain was feeling worse neck was getting tighter, becoming more jittery....doubts crept in...now therapy is also about TMS no longer doubt the diagnosis my body is starting to calm down, neck is still somewhat stiff, shooting shoulder pain that happens on occasion no longer freaks me out (mostly)I'm learning how to work through it. I'm on a journey of discovery and falling in loving with me!!... Gee this post got longer than intended!

So with all this said what reason would I have to see Dr Rauchbaum again? To just check in? Do you continue to see a TMS Dr once you are secure in the diagnosis?
    Would love an opinion.
    Thank you

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Susan, I'm sorry you are going through so much pain, I'm confident you'll pull through.

I understand Dr Rauchbaum was a conventional Dr before he moved into mindbody disorders. That said, when he gave you the diagnosis he would have ruled out any structural abnormalities and concluded it's TMS. I would treat the new symptoms as TMS and create an evidence sheet, this will help you track your symptoms, increase your belief and reduce your fear.

Good luck and bless you.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Susan1111 likes this.
  3. Susan1111

Thank you Mike.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like you are making good progress, Susan! Many of us never bothered getting a TMS diagnosis, after having seen plenty of traditional practitioners of various types who couldn't find anything wrong. So my opinion, given my particular bias, is to let someone else have that appointment and keep doing what you've been doing.

And by the way, I love this:
    You go, girl! dancea

5. Susan1111

Thanks Jan! I understand that not everyone either does or can go the route of a TNS Dr. For me and my personality I was glad I was able to do so. The thought occurred to me too that someone in need could have my appointment.

Will decide today!