1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS Diagnosis, how important? Hello I am new to this site. I have back pain for the last 13 years, s

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Elbe, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Elbe

Elbe Peer Supporter

TMS Diagnosis, how important is it? Hello, I am from Canada and new to this Forum. I have back pain for the last 13 rears since I retired. When the back pain started, I read the three Dr. Sarno books. After that, I was quite convinced that I have TMS. I am a mechanical engineer, and have a typical TMS personality. Per the "Healing Back Pain" book, it is quite important to have a proper TMS diagnosis, not just by exclusion. I had an examination by Dr. Schechter in LA, who studied under Dr. Sarno. Unfortunately it was inconclusive. His diagnosis was, I may have TMS. I worked with Dr. Sarno's teaching for a number of years. Even though the back pain stayed with me, I learned to cope with it with the help of strong pain medication. Last year I had surgery with complications for blocked bowels. After that my back pain got a lot worse and is now joined by leg pain, which is diagnosed as venus insufficiency. This can be somewhat controlled with compression stockings. As extensively verified by examinations and scans there are no other physical issues. I am quite convinced that my pains are psychological, but may be not necessarily TMS. Please note, I don't have the tenderness spots in 3 parts of my back, which per Dr. Sarno virtual all TMS patients have. Also heat will not relieve my pain, but rather make it worse. So my brain must use a different strategy than oxygen deprivation. Does anybody in this group has similar experiences? Any help will be appreciated. Elbe from Canada

2. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Wish I could help, Elbe, but really my only comment is that you are probably over-thinking your symptoms, in true tms fashion.
    I'm Canadian, also. Welcome to the forum. Sounds to me that you are in the right place at the right time!

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Elbe I believe almost everyone has tms in some form or fashion, now with that said -- it is written all in your post. You are worried and stressed. You said you fit the bill. You don't have to be an exact match on a scale to have tms . All you have to do is be a worrier and stressed to the max with no patience. This will set pain in your body every time. Do you have those three things going on in your life?

Always make sure you are medically freed to practice the tms protocol for sure but really think about what I'm saying. Tms healing is about calming down your reactions to outside negative stimuli or life current and past pressures.

You can't go wrong getting your nervous system under control. Welcome aboard.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Elbe, hi. Steve Ozanich posted a short video today that sure reinforces the belief that our pains
    are psychological. Hope this helps. Believing our pain is TMS from life's repressed emotions is the
    main step toward healing. Lots of us have found that true. Here's the video:

http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/e-motion.4181/