1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS & DANCING

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by lexylucy, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Elena99

Elena99 New Member

You sound a lot like me. I'm 33 but I keep thinking/saying (sometimes jokingly) "I'm an old woman now" because the pain is making me feel like that. But we aren't. 30s isn't old. I need to stop thinking it is. It might help to think "I'm young" instead, or read articles about old people who still run marathons, etc.

I also love dancing. I haven't in a while, but there's a dance class that I'm going to start taking soon, when the lesson cycle starts up again.

2. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Thank you so much guys. Yes it was hard being young-ish and feeling so oldish and in pain but as I am really getting older I am finding new breakthroughs---maybe in my forties I will feel like I'm in high school? One can always hope.

So after 5 days of pretty intense pain and cramping and twisting I lay down in a fetal and said my Sarno-esque affirmations out loud in a whisper for twenty minutes straight and by the end of lying there for a half hour or so the pain was gone and I was pretty much back to my self again.

Then today I went dancing and had a ball truly. And then something strange happened again -I was dancing with someone and they made a sudden move unexpectedly and I got angry and felt weird and my back went into spasm again. I realize what has happened is more - the fear of injury - rather than injury. I know that in this case. And so I say:

"This pain is not real. It is psychological in nature. My Autonomic nervous system is cutting off the blood flow and oxygen supply to various parts of my body including muscles, nerves, and bones. There is no structural problem. There is no physical damage. The pain and twisting and turning are being caused by my Autonomic nervous system in order to distract me from intense emotions of fear, anger, and sadness. This pain is not real. " And over again :)

Elena99 likes this.